Mega CD

Generic Discussions of Various User Forum Content
Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Embedded Developer

Re: Mega CD

Post by Yuri » November 17th, 2015, 6:01 pm

the most of old consoles are using native protocol between cd-rom and controller,
so the easiest console for -IO it's like DC, which uses ATA-IDE interface, additionally it's very suitable connector for ext-device)))

SegaSonic91
Motto: Game geek for life!
PlayStation Model: 7500, 100

Post by SegaSonic91 » November 17th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Ahhh, well that makes sense. I was thinking that the older systems were simpler than the likes of the Saturn, DC and PS1.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » November 17th, 2015, 11:17 pm

simplier- it uses serial interface, maybe even two - data and commands, responses, whatever.

Olschoolgamer
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Olschoolgamer » November 20th, 2015, 6:34 am

So the Mega Cd will be emulated? Not sure if I understood correctly. I hope not, I am hoping it still uses the original CD processors. Part of the purpose for these devices (in my opinion) is preserving the original hardware. Fingers crossed for a turbo duo version in the future!

Olschoolgamer
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Olschoolgamer » November 23rd, 2015, 8:26 am

Shadow wrote:
SegaSonic91 wrote:There is nothing different internally between the MCD and MCD2 as far as I know, so I do not think it will matter either way. It all depends on how the IO would work be it CART based or internal in the MCD itself. Both systems connect to the MD the same way as well so again, I don't THINK there would be any difference. I am no hardware engineer though!
It would probably be easier to just re-create the Mega CD in an FPGA than to replicate the drive mechanics. That would then slide into the expansion port on the Mega Drive and boot up a Menu System where you could select your games from the list.

I've never looked inside of a Mega-CD, nor have I owned one, so it will be quite interesting.
By all means, if you are willing to send me a Mega-CD, that would make acquiring one easier.
Mind you it would be ripped apart to reverse it, and it would be sent to Cybdyn in Belarus in which you might never get it back. We would have to buy if off of you in that case.

Please have it to where the sega cd is attached to the console. I have a rev. 2 Dreamcast and a rev. 1 Dreamcast gd rom drive both in working condition. If I were to donate them could I become a beta tester for the Sega CDIO?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » November 23rd, 2015, 2:24 pm

Olschoolgamer wrote:
Shadow wrote:
SegaSonic91 wrote:There is nothing different internally between the MCD and MCD2 as far as I know, so I do not think it will matter either way. It all depends on how the IO would work be it CART based or internal in the MCD itself. Both systems connect to the MD the same way as well so again, I don't THINK there would be any difference. I am no hardware engineer though!
It would probably be easier to just re-create the Mega CD in an FPGA than to replicate the drive mechanics. That would then slide into the expansion port on the Mega Drive and boot up a Menu System where you could select your games from the list.

I've never looked inside of a Mega-CD, nor have I owned one, so it will be quite interesting.
By all means, if you are willing to send me a Mega-CD, that would make acquiring one easier.
Mind you it would be ripped apart to reverse it, and it would be sent to Cybdyn in Belarus in which you might never get it back. We would have to buy if off of you in that case.

Please have it to where the sega cd is attached to the console. I have a rev. 2 Dreamcast and a rev. 1 Dreamcast gd rom drive both in working condition. If I were to donate them could I become a beta tester for the Sega CDIO?
You want to donate Dreamcasts to become a Mega-CD BETA tester? :|

Olschoolgamer
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Olschoolgamer » November 23rd, 2015, 5:30 pm

Shadow wrote:You want to donate Dreamcasts to become a Mega-CD BETA tester? :|
Yes? Lol I know that sounds strange, but I figured I would throw the offer out on the table. From my understanding DCIO is next, so I imagine you already have Dreamcast systems in your possession though. Regardless, I hope that the sega cd units themselves will be utilized and not emulated in your design.

ershu
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by ershu » November 26th, 2015, 4:42 pm

I have almost every console in game history. I will say Saturn io is the most desired.

Consoles before 32-bit era can already be well emulated.
You can use PS3 as a all in one console. (even PS2 games work fine)
You can play N64/GC using a hacked WII with an original GC controller.
You can play GB/GBC/GG/NGP/WSC retro handhold games with a PSP.

The only consoles which is not well emulated is SS (SSF can work but not very good/not open source/only under windows) and DC (terrible for most of games).

I know you guys make things just for fun without consideration for emulators. It's great, you're awosome.
But in my option only SSIO and DCIO will have real practical value. I will definitely buy those two products.

Please choose SSIO after DCIO.

I would like to donate a japanese version of Saturn.
But I have found that shipping cost too much from China to Belarus.
Can buy another two Saturns with this money. :shock:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bwt. For me the physical copies of game is the best media for collection.
Holding a box and looking at cover art and manual will let you feel that you actually does OWN this game.
I used to collecte full set of retro game ROM images. But honestly after downloaded I never play them, they are just a list of nonsense names.

I also bought some NES/SNES flash catridges in very high price, I just used it twice. It's not worth it. Finally I returned to play them with NES/SNES emulator in PS3. It's more convenient (save and load), more HD, and save more places in my living room. Great tech but less practical value. Impulse buys. :crying

Olschoolgamer
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Olschoolgamer » February 3rd, 2016, 9:46 am

cybdyn wrote:simplier- it uses serial interface, maybe even two - data and commands, responses, whatever.
Hope the DC-IO is coming along well in progress, and I hope you guys still are planning something for the Mega/Sega CD. The machines are falling apart and there is a genuine void to be filled that no one else has attempted. I think everyone should have the opportunity to experience the Mega/Sega CD.

elmagicochrisg

Post by elmagicochrisg » February 3rd, 2016, 2:06 pm

PippinIO :P

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » February 3rd, 2016, 6:31 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:PippinIO :P
PPIO ;)

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » February 3rd, 2016, 9:30 pm

yeah, DCIO in progress. then we plan moving forward

PCB of dcio looks like:

also we're discovering new hardware technologies to make devices cheaper
Attachments
81647317b6b0.jpg
(640.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet

aloram

Post by aloram » February 4th, 2016, 8:41 am

Looks great, cybdyn! When do you think it'll be available?

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » February 4th, 2016, 8:09 pm

I hope sometime in this year (2016).
also depends on features. same as psio it will have ability to update its fw

MidnightMonkey
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by MidnightMonkey » February 5th, 2016, 7:38 am

Olschoolgamer wrote:
cybdyn wrote:simplier- it uses serial interface, maybe even two - data and commands, responses, whatever.
Hope the DC-IO is coming along well in progress, and I hope you guys still are planning something for the Mega/Sega CD. The machines are falling apart and there is a genuine void to be filled that no one else has attempted. I think everyone should have the opportunity to experience the Mega/Sega CD.
I second this. I have an NTSC model 1 Sega CD that I can ship you guys.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » February 5th, 2016, 6:19 pm

we are appreciate your offer!!

elmagicochrisg

Post by elmagicochrisg » February 6th, 2016, 3:18 pm

Shadow wrote:
elmagicochrisg wrote:PippinIO :P
PPIO ;)
WIIUIO

Whiskey
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Whiskey » March 23rd, 2016, 7:04 pm

What i don´t understand is why even think about do an DC-IO, if i got it correct its for DreamCast

DreamCast allredy have 3 ways i know to emulate the games

1: DreamShell whit "USB 2.0" <- Own it myself and works quite good

2: GDEMU <- Don´t own this one, same site have same way to emulate Sega Saturn

3: USB-GDROM <- This also work really good and i have one of those myself, same site also emulate 3DO consoles

So way not focuse on the Sega-MegaCD that not exist at this time instead of try reinvent the wheel :)

\ Whiskey

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » March 23rd, 2016, 8:52 pm

DCIO was in development soon after we started PSIO, so instead of putting it to waste, we will finish it. We also believe we can make DCIO much, much cheaper, and have better options versus the competitors out there already. We will also offer USB to play images, instead of just the SD Card. We also plan to have a much more elaborate and cleaner designed Menu System.

zeruel85
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zeruel85 » March 24th, 2016, 5:01 am

Shadow wrote:DCIO was in development soon after we started PSIO, so instead of putting it to waste, we will finish it. We also believe we can make DCIO much, much cheaper, and have better options versus the competitors out there already. We will also offer USB to play images, instead of just the SD Card. We also plan to have a much more elaborate and cleaner designed Menu System.
Just a quick info. I donated some money for DCIO project a few time ago. My question is: will I be in the beta program, no matter how much I donated? Or is there a minimum donation to partecipate to the beta program?

Thanks. :)