Mega CD

Generic Discussions of Various User Forum Content
provato

Re: Mega CD

Post by provato » May 25th, 2014, 6:42 pm

I also own a ps2 slim (SCPH-70004) and I can assure you that right now, it's very difficult to play ps1 games on it from an external drive/network/memory card or stick. Let me tell you how things are right now:

-USB drive: There is no support for ps1 games, although someone mentioned POPSloader will be available for USB. But if you ask me, POPSloader still sucks because it's an emulator - not an interpreter that uses the ps1 (IOP) hardware capabilities of ps2
*What sucks even more about the ps2's usb, is that it's only usb 1.1!!!! you cannot use 1.1 to transfer data at the same speed as dvd/cd drive. And of course, it's not possible to change the usb ports of the ps2.
-PS2 internal hdd: (in slim 700xx it is possible with a mod) only POPSloader option (emulation), which sucks
-Network: No support for ps1 games whatsoever
-PSIO (hypothetically): It will (possibly) need to be soldered in the ps2's mainboard. Why would anyone do that if he can buy a second-hand ps1 really cheap?

The only true option for full support of all ps1 games on ps2, would be to "transfer" a piece of code into the internal ps1 IOP of ps2, so that it "understands" the ps2's internal HDD as a cd-drive. Noone has ever bothered to try that because of the limited space.
But I still think (and hope) it's possible.

Zero106
Just Joined
Just Joined
I am a: Gamer
PlayStation Model: SPCH-1002

Post by Zero106 » June 16th, 2014, 8:02 am

Agreed with all the people requesting for Sega Saturn Drive Emulator. PS1, Dreamcast and Saturn are top 3 devices that needs that kind of device.

I also would be extremely interested in drive emulator for Nintendo Gamecube and i'm think i'm not alone. There are some Wii chips on the market that could be installed on Gamecube and load media from SD and even from IDE, but installing requires pretty tough soldering.

PC Engine support would be nice too.

Yagotzirck
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Yagotzirck » June 16th, 2014, 8:39 am

i'd be interested in a GC drive emulator as well, but i'm afraid it won't be worth it for whoever bothers with making such a thing since the majority just sticks with a softmodded Wii and plays gc backups in there.. yet would be great to use gc's parallel port for a GCIO, assuming that's even possible

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » June 16th, 2014, 3:26 pm

The PlayStation 1, Dreamcast, SEGA Saturn, 3DO, PC-FX, Atari Jaguar CD, CDi, Sega-CD and Amiga CD32 are on our minds. It just takes time to develop flash cartridges, but once PSIO is done, the rest can be based off of the same logic code.

baldjared
PSIO Donator
PSIO Donator

Post by baldjared » June 16th, 2014, 3:52 pm

For a WKF/WODE/WASP connected to a gamecube there's already a product called MEGAdrive, there's 6 versions, 4 of which are currently readily available new, one of them is plug and play the others mostly just require some simple soldering, so time is probably not worth spending on that system since it's already been done.

tomx1989

Post by tomx1989 » June 16th, 2014, 7:55 pm

The biggest problem with gamecube is that the games loading from wiikey, sd gecko or from usb on wii don't have audio streaming. But first is ps1, console without any sd reader, other console have flash cards, sd card readers or good emulators.

Iraito
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Iraito » June 23rd, 2014, 5:24 pm

As of now my saturn is left unused, if something like PSIO would be created for saturn i whould buy it in a heartbeat.

I just want to let developers know that there's still another person interested in this.

capey
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by capey » June 26th, 2014, 2:14 am

Like Iraito, I made an account to express interest in a project like PSIO for the Saturn.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » June 26th, 2014, 3:28 am

The SEGA Saturn is after the Dreamcast which is after PSIO.

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » June 26th, 2014, 11:13 am

Shadow wrote:The SEGA Saturn is after the Dreamcast which is after PSIO.
Really? HIGHLY Interesting. That "other Dreamcast guy" may get the jump on you guys with Saturn.

Orion_
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Orion_ » June 28th, 2014, 4:09 am

the saturn already have a "psio" project, it's called "sarooo"
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/sega-s ... pment.html

and dreamcast too:
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/pre-or ... evice.html
Retro game development on Playstation and other consoles http://orionsoft.free.fr/

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » June 28th, 2014, 6:52 am

My reference to the "other Dreamcast guy" was the same as the link you posted. I didn't think it's appropriate to post links to competing hardware on PSIO's site. I wouldn't hold out for Sarooo, still very little is known about it truthfully.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » June 28th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Orion_ wrote:the saturn already have a "psio" project, it's called "sarooo"
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/sega-s ... pment.html

and dreamcast too:
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/pre-or ... evice.html
The SEGA Saturn 'sarooo' project looks interesting, but it doesn't handle CD-ROM audio streaming. I would also not trust the quality of Chinese workmanship. All in all, it's just a 'Flash Cart'. Not a CD-ROM Emulator like PSIO. It would be okay for developers/homebrewers, but I would not use it to play games off of.

We know about the Dreamcast one. An extremely intelligent and nice individual named 'Deunan' is working on that.

Orion_
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Orion_ » June 28th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Greg2600 wrote:I didn't think it's appropriate to post links to competing hardware on PSIO's site.
well, I guess by the time PSIO will be out, the saturn version will be available.
Retro game development on Playstation and other consoles http://orionsoft.free.fr/

Chk991
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Chk991 » July 2nd, 2014, 7:28 am

I don't understand, why the Dreamcast before the Saturn? And the wait for the Saturn version would kill me.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » July 2nd, 2014, 6:59 pm

Cybdyn started on the Dreamcast while PSIO was in the works, so we need to finish that off before we start another. The Saturn CD-ROM emulator (SSIO) should be very quick to make since all the logic from PSIO can be ported :)

Chk991
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Chk991 » July 3rd, 2014, 5:29 am

Shadow wrote:Cybdyn started on the Dreamcast while PSIO was in the works, so we need to finish that off before we start another. The Saturn CD-ROM emulator (SSIO) should be very quick to make since all the logic from PSIO can be ported :)
Well, that's good news. I guess I'll hold off buying a modchip for my Saturn and just wait for this. Good luck with your next projects.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Embedded Developer

Post by Yuri » July 10th, 2014, 8:48 pm

actually there is problem for other consoles, unlike PS1 and DC - they are very rare in my location))) , i even have never hold Saturn or Mega CD in hand. but there are lot info about internal structure of cd-rom drive in such consoles.
so if someone have spare Saturn or MCD or other more/less popular console (based on CD) i'll be glad to get it. even if it's broken.

also, how console was/is popular - it plays big role.

and of course , before start something else, we need finish at least what we started long ago))

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Embedded Developer

Post by Yuri » April 25th, 2015, 8:39 pm

still intersting in cd-emu for other consoles. just need get consoles for tests, even broken oneS will be good))

aloram

Post by aloram » April 26th, 2015, 2:08 am

cybdyn wrote:still intersting in cd-emu for other consoles. just need get consoles for tests, even broken oneS will be good))
How can we help you acquire a Saturn? I want something like PSIO for the Saturn, too. Let's get you a Saturn!!!