Mega CD

Generic Discussions of Various User Forum Content
Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Embedded Developer

Re: Mega CD

Post by Yuri » February 25th, 2014, 6:27 pm

why not if i can try this sega-CD emu by psio/dcio.

SegaSonic91
Motto: Game geek for life!
PlayStation Model: 7500, 100

Post by SegaSonic91 » February 27th, 2014, 2:48 am

lovewiibrew wrote:Emulation is almost perfect with the Sega Genesis and Sega-CD, I would think it would be a waste of time to make a Sega CD IO. Imo, efforts are better spent on the Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast.
Phhft!! Emulation?!? No thanks! Do you honestly think that the type of people willing to pay large amounts of money for PSIO/DCIO type products care about emulation? No, they do not. The point of this for people like me, is to preserve the life of my precious systems because frankly I only care about playing games on real systems. There are plenty of people that just want to download every bloody PS1 game ever made and play them for free, hence all the "waah! Me need HD!!" nonesense. I want it to have all the games I own, easily playable whilst keeping the originals sealed away. The only emulation I have ever given a damn about is MAME, Final Burn and the Taito emu I can no longer remember the name of.

I agree about a Saturn IDE being very important. Personally I would like to see this for all the CD-ROM based systems. PC Engine is another that I hope appears some day.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » February 27th, 2014, 8:31 am

i mean emulation of cd-drive part of sega-cd, saturn, or other cd-drive for other consoles. psio/dcio is quite enough for such purposes.

lovewiibrew
PSIO Donator
PSIO Donator

Post by lovewiibrew » February 28th, 2014, 4:46 pm

SegaSonic91 wrote:
lovewiibrew wrote:Emulation is almost perfect with the Sega Genesis and Sega-CD, I would think it would be a waste of time to make a Sega CD IO. Imo, efforts are better spent on the Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast.
Phhft!! Emulation?!? No thanks! Do you honestly think that the type of people willing to pay large amounts of money for PSIO/DCIO type products care about emulation? No, they do not. The point of this for people like me, is to preserve the life of my precious systems because frankly I only care about playing games on real systems. There are plenty of people that just want to download every bloody PS1 game ever made and play them for free, hence all the "waah! Me need HD!!" nonesense. I want it to have all the games I own, easily playable whilst keeping the originals sealed away. The only emulation I have ever given a damn about is MAME, Final Burn and the Taito emu I can no longer remember the name of.

I agree about a Saturn IDE being very important. Personally I would like to see this for all the CD-ROM based systems. PC Engine is another that I hope appears some day.
Why is it nonsense to request having a HDD for PSIO? It was originally planned to support HDD, then they decided not to, before AGAIN deciding they would, and finally saying it wouldn't. You joined a month ago so you obviously haven't been here long enough to see the development of PSIO. Sections of the forum were tidied and the old PSIO worklog was deleted. So just because YOU don't care about having a HDD accessible to PSIO, doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way you do. There are others who would love to have a HDD for PSIO. It's not a deal breaker for me, I will still buy one for the SD card. But as one of PSIO's earliest supporters, I definitely can tell you HDD was originally planned and it's something I hope the PSIO team will consider in the future.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » February 28th, 2014, 6:14 pm

actually this topic about M-CD ? ))

i remeber about that lovewiibrew wanna see psio w/ HDD.

Tranqex
PSIO Donator
PSIO Donator
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Tranqex » February 28th, 2014, 10:03 pm

cybdyn are you saying that the PSIO and DCIO techniques/hardware can be ported to Mega-CD or even Saturn and it wouldn't be that much of a challenge?
If you could do this it would be amazing!
I would love all my CD based consoles to be able to run ISO's from SD cards.
Getting my originals out to play is such a pain and this would be fantastic.
If you do decide to look at Mega-CD or Saturn and make a page for either of these consoles I would donate ASAP just like I have for PSIO and DCIO!

I love the work you guys are doing!!!

cleeg
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by cleeg » March 1st, 2014, 3:04 am

So would I.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » March 1st, 2014, 5:55 am

combination of "ARM and FPGA" is quite powerful for most emu of cd based consoles. i mean - if i need test if M-CD cd-emu can be done i can use PSIO/DCIO. from point of view - no need make special/new device (wait new pcb, new parts).
only what i need - M-CD , or Saturn in hand. and games. better of cause if original cd-drive of console should work good. to get info how it works, native protocol. etc

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » March 3rd, 2014, 11:14 pm

MCDIO... I like it :dance
We shall see what happens...

SegaSonic91

Post by SegaSonic91 » March 12th, 2014, 4:13 am

lovewiibrew wrote:
Why is it nonsense to request having a HDD for PSIO? It was originally planned to support HDD, then they decided not to, before AGAIN deciding they would, and finally saying it wouldn't.
I personally think it is nonsense because it just is not needed for playstation games, a 32GB SD card would be more than enough. Most of the people I have seen whinging about no HDD are people that just want to download every "J/U/PAL" set and have them all on a HDD. Now if we could use a HDD between multiple systems, that would be great. Being able to have one HDD for use between PSIO and DCIO plus hopefully MEGA-CD, Saturn (PS2IO???) and PC Engine in the future, would be awesome. For just PSIO, I don't see the point.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » March 13th, 2014, 5:20 pm

when PSIO support HDD, it'll be not only for psio , as file in FAT32, so we can store images for what ever)) maybe just make folder for each consoles, will see

SegaSonic91

Post by SegaSonic91 » March 15th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Using one HDD between multiple systems sounds perfect. I am wondering though, would a PS2IO be possible? I have a HDD in my PS2 already, but a modern way to play PS2 games via HDD would be fantastic. My HDD is 320GB yet it has less than half of my collection on it :(

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » March 15th, 2014, 3:07 pm

ps2io is possible, but there is no extension port like ps1 has.
even fat-ps2 has port but no idea where we can buy this connector.
so maybe if only put ps2io inside of console and solder w/ wires. but i remeber there is debug port in almost all versions of ps2, that acts like parallel io.

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » March 15th, 2014, 3:08 pm

SegaSonic91 wrote:Using one HDD between multiple systems sounds perfect. I am wondering though, would a PS2IO be possible? I have a HDD in my PS2 already, but a modern way to play PS2 games via HDD would be fantastic. My HDD is 320GB yet it has less than half of my collection on it :(
The best method (IMO) is just to FreeMcBoot a memory card, and then either use Open PS2 Loader to pull games from your PC HDD over ethernet [Slim] or load games from you PC to the PS2 HDD over ethernet [FAT]

tomx1989

Post by tomx1989 » March 16th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Ps2 slim and loading games from pc is good but it`s much slower than dvd and you must always turn on your pc. You can`t take ps2 and go to your friend with it. Maybe in ps2 slim will be better to replace dvd and use dvd connector(like dcio) or make something like hd combo pro
http://psx-scene.com/forums/attachments ... hd_pro.jpg
that use modified modbo 4 to load games from hdd. I wish to have ps2 slim with built in 2.5 inch hdd :)

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » March 16th, 2014, 4:23 pm

tomx1989 wrote:Ps2 slim and loading games from pc is good but it`s much slower than dvd and you must always turn on your pc. You can`t take ps2 and go to your friend with it. Maybe in ps2 slim will be better to replace dvd and use dvd connector(like dcio) or make something like hd combo pro
http://psx-scene.com/forums/attachments ... hd_pro.jpg
that use modified modbo 4 to load games from hdd. I wish to have ps2 slim with built in 2.5 inch hdd :)
First of all, who is still "taking their PS2 to their friend's house?" Especially a fat PS2, let's be reasonable. Second of all, it's not slower, you can copy a full PS2 game to a HDD in a FAT console in pretty short time. Streaming to a slim is faster loading than from the console's drive. AND most of all, it's very inexpensive compared to $150 say on a PS2-IO.

fwannmacher
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by fwannmacher » March 17th, 2014, 1:26 am

But you still have problem using miltidisc games with the OPL. Not mentioning using a sd card is a much easier way to change games those you want to play

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » March 17th, 2014, 2:30 am

ps2 is quite powerful and smart console. You can chose more way of using alternative ways of emulation of cd/dvd drive.

but one of the idea or different ps2io from other way is make device that is close to original drive. so console will think it's native device. the OPL or HDL methods are based on changing/patching software drivers like cdvdman/cdvdfs/atad (or something like this) and redirection to usb or expansion port. so we can call it - "software" emulation of cd/dvd drive.
ps2io - is hardware emulation, so you no need patch mem-card or other additional device like Network Adapter. of course device is not cheap. but everything changes.
and every one can make own choice)))

tomx1989

Post by tomx1989 » March 17th, 2014, 11:22 am

Greg2600 wrote: First of all, who is still "taking their PS2 to their friend's house?" Especially a fat PS2, let's be reasonable. Second of all, it's not slower, you can copy a full PS2 game to a HDD in a FAT console in pretty short time. Streaming to a slim is faster loading than from the console's drive. AND most of all, it's very inexpensive compared to $150 say on a PS2-IO.
Friend house is only example, ps2 slim is great small console that you can take everywhere. You can`t do this with ps2 fat. I have ps2 fat with NA, loading times are a lot faster than dvd, but I was telling about network/SMB games. This is much slower that dvd. I want play on ps2 SLIM everywhere without connection to pc and fast loading games. There are more ps2 slim models so this model should have such device, ps2 fat don`t need ps2io, network adaptor is great. Maybe ps2io on dvd connector can even launch ps1 games? :)

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Yuri » March 17th, 2014, 1:53 pm

yeah, it's quite poosible launch ps1 games on ps2 consople.