Mega CD

Generic Discussions of Various User Forum Content
Yuri
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Embedded Developer

Re: Mega CD

Post by Yuri » April 27th, 2015, 10:14 pm

I'm in Belarus (Minsk). or another destination can be one of the EU country - Latvia (city Riga)

aloram

Post by aloram » April 28th, 2015, 5:58 am

Can we take up a collection to raise money for you to get a Saturn? Maybe a bunch of us can contribute a few bucks and you can buy one.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Yuri » April 28th, 2015, 7:53 pm

it's one of ideas.
or you can gather $ in other hand than mine. and then someone buy it on ebay or somewhere else and just send to me.
or maybe we send $ to some one who got it...

also, intersting in other consoles Mega-CD and other cd-based etc.

i got a lot of PS1, doezens DC, 1- Game cube. 1-N64 , few PS2 (fat)

The_Atomik_Punk!
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by The_Atomik_Punk! » June 24th, 2015, 10:37 am

Hey guys, first post here. I have an extra Model 1 Sega CD (NTSC) that I would be willing to donate to the cause if it would help produce an equivalent device to the PSIO for the Sega CD. This unit has been completely recapped + new fuse/ drive belt, and works like a charm.

If any of the developers of the PSIO would be interested in receiving such a donation towards the development of a prospective Sega CD IO, then feel free to hit me back in this thread so that I can get it shipped off to you.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » June 24th, 2015, 1:26 pm

Hi. We would be interested, but we have the Dreamcast to do next and then the SEGA Saturn. The Mega CD will not be for a while, but if you're still keen, yes you can send it to us. The best person to send it to would be Cybdyn directly. I can grab my own later on down the track.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Yuri » June 24th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Check your PM!)))

aloram

Post by aloram » August 18th, 2015, 4:01 am

I know Saturn isn't until after Dreamcast, but do you guys think your "SaturnIO" will work on all models, or will it require a specific model? I know that the Rhea only works on Saturns with a 20-pin drive. Thanks.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Yuri » August 19th, 2015, 5:38 pm

It's hard to say, we are on the very early steps for the Ssio. think for first time we will use simple one like 20pin. but depends on what saturn model i have.

wilykat
PSIO Donator
PSIO Donator

Post by wilykat » August 25th, 2015, 6:11 am

Maybe a simple poll to see which Saturn is more common? In all my time finding Saturns in the wild, all of them were the later model with round button, never oval button. All of them I checked, has 21 pins and only 1 of them had 64-pins IC, the rest were much later 32-pins IC

Only oval button has 20 pins cable IIRC, round button has 21 pins and 3 different board style, with 64 pins IC, 32 pins IC, and no IC. I have yet to find the no-IC model or the oval button 20 pins model.

Olschoolgamer
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by Olschoolgamer » November 14th, 2015, 2:58 pm

The Sega/Mega cd would be the best device to work on next in my opinion. Nobody has a device available for it, and although it can run cd-r backups already, many drives have bad lasers now and are in an inoperable state. Dreamcast already has 2 devices on the Market, Saturn has the Rhea. Have other consoles been considered such as the Gamecube? Or the Atari Jaguar? Neo Geo CD? Although the market is more Niche, there are no such devices for these disc based systems.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Yuri » November 15th, 2015, 10:44 am

I don't have any of such consoles(((

SegaSonic91
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV
Motto: Game geek for life!
PlayStation Model: 7500, 100

Post by SegaSonic91 » November 16th, 2015, 4:58 pm

cybdyn wrote:I don't have any of such consoles(((
Hopefully someone "closer to home" can supply you with a MEGA-CD system. I can supply one to Shadow if needed, that will be easy. Probably still not cheap because AusPost sucks arse. :lol:

I don't think a GameCube IO is needed, personally. That's what a Wii is for. The Wii is far better to play GC games on than a GC due to the component issue.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » November 16th, 2015, 6:34 pm

SegaSonic91 wrote:
cybdyn wrote:I don't have any of such consoles(((
Hopefully someone "closer to home" can supply you with a MEGA-CD system. I can supply one to Shadow if needed, that will be easy. Probably still not cheap because AusPost sucks arse. :lol:

I don't think a GameCube IO is needed, personally. That's what a Wii is for. The Wii is far better to play GC games on than a GC due to the component issue.
I'm looking at one on eBay at the moment, but it's a Model 2.
I can send a Mega CD to Cybdyn using our companies DHL account to get early pre-development underway.
I have a Mega Drive development kit, so making a Menu System should be a fun learning process.

I'm thinking about starting a new forum over at http://cybdyn-systems.com.au/ and closing the PSIO forums on PSXDEV.net down, leaving it only for PSX development.

More information regarding the Mega CD will be updated over there then, as well as other consoles, such as the Dreamcast once we are finished with PSIO.

SegaSonic91
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by SegaSonic91 » November 16th, 2015, 6:44 pm

I have a large stockpile of Japanese Model 1 systems (I have installed region free BIOS chips in them, but still have the original chips if needed) so I am happy to offer one to you both if needed. :dance

I also have a ton of unwanted Japanese PS1 systems. Four PSOne's as well, but I want those. I bought a bulk lot of systems off yahoo and the stupid seller apparently sent the wrong items to my auction agent. Was not happy when the package arrived.

Cool logo, by the way! :clap

wilykat
PSIO Donator
PSIO Donator

Post by wilykat » November 16th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Model 2 is more common, probably should start with those?

SegaSonic91
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by SegaSonic91 » November 16th, 2015, 7:59 pm

There is nothing different internally between the MCD and MCD2 as far as I know, so I do not think it will matter either way. It all depends on how the IO would work be it CART based or internal in the MCD itself. Both systems connect to the MD the same way as well so again, I don't THINK there would be any difference. I am no hardware engineer though!

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » November 16th, 2015, 8:04 pm

SegaSonic91 wrote:There is nothing different internally between the MCD and MCD2 as far as I know, so I do not think it will matter either way. It all depends on how the IO would work be it CART based or internal in the MCD itself. Both systems connect to the MD the same way as well so again, I don't THINK there would be any difference. I am no hardware engineer though!
It would probably be easier to just re-create the Mega CD in an FPGA than to replicate the drive mechanics. That would then slide into the expansion port on the Mega Drive and boot up a Menu System where you could select your games from the list.

I've never looked inside of a Mega-CD, nor have I owned one, so it will be quite interesting.
By all means, if you are willing to send me a Mega-CD, that would make acquiring one easier.
Mind you it would be ripped apart to reverse it, and it would be sent to Cybdyn in Belarus in which you might never get it back. We would have to buy if off of you in that case.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Yuri » November 16th, 2015, 8:28 pm

actually i have dcio 4.0 pcb , which i couldnt finish with fw))) so maybe first start form it.. then MCD.. but depends on what will e easy and omre intersting)))

aloram

Post by aloram » November 17th, 2015, 4:11 am

I'm still hoping you guys do a Saturn-IO at some point.

In case you ever decide to make a device for the Turbo/PC Engine CD: For those registered on the PCEngineFX.com forums (registration is free), there was a recent. in-depth discussion over there on the topic:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index. ... ic=20057.0

SegaSonic91
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by SegaSonic91 » November 17th, 2015, 4:51 pm

Shadow wrote:
SegaSonic91 wrote:There is nothing different internally between the MCD and MCD2 as far as I know, so I do not think it will matter either way. It all depends on how the IO would work be it CART based or internal in the MCD itself. Both systems connect to the MD the same way as well so again, I don't THINK there would be any difference. I am no hardware engineer though!
It would probably be easier to just re-create the Mega CD in an FPGA than to replicate the drive mechanics. That would then slide into the expansion port on the Mega Drive and boot up a Menu System where you could select your games from the list.

I've never looked inside of a Mega-CD, nor have I owned one, so it will be quite interesting.
By all means, if you are willing to send me a Mega-CD, that would make acquiring one easier.
Mind you it would be ripped apart to reverse it, and it would be sent to Cybdyn in Belarus in which you might never get it back. We would have to buy if off of you in that case.
Although the thought of the MCD being torn apart breaks my SEGA fanboy heart, I was aware that would be the case :D It is for the greater good though, so it's all ok! (Geez I should like a dork!)
aloram wrote:I'm still hoping you guys do a Saturn-IO at some point.

In case you ever decide to make a device for the Turbo/PC Engine CD: For those registered on the PCEngineFX.com forums (registration is free), there was a recent. in-depth discussion over there on the topic:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index. ... ic=20057.0
I hope for a PCE SD reader one day, too. I am going to be extremely rude here by saying "the guy that made Rhea and GDEmu" (the name of whom escapes me!) is working on a PCE device but according to his blog, he hit a roadblock with it. I thought MCD/PCE would be far easier to make a device for than the PS1/Saturn/DC etc.