The ultimate PAL/NTSC and PSX model number question

Request new features or ask for existing features to be fixed or updated
brontozaur
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

The ultimate PAL/NTSC and PSX model number question

Post by brontozaur » January 20th, 2016, 2:35 am

Hi there,
I did some searching, I think I gathered the answer from different pieces but still I just want to figure this out once and for all. It would be cool if someone knowledgeable commented if these are all true:

1) With PSIO, it doesn't matter whether you have PAL or NTSC version of the console, or whether you have PAL or NTSC game images, provided that you use RGB out. (NTSC game on a PAL machine, PAL game on NTSC machine).

2) So there is absolutely no point for someone in Europe to ship a console from the U.S., if one wants NTSC, and vice versa, because PSIO makes the choice between PAL and NTSC consoles redundant (given that you don't care about the CD drive).

3) With PSIO, RGB to VGA boards like the GBS 8220, which are said to 'like' NTSC signal much better, would be able to get NTSC signal from a PAL console.

4) In order to play NTSC games on PAL console with the PSIO, no further hardware modifications, save for the installation of the PSiO itself, are necessary, provided that you use RGB out.

5) With PSIO, all console versions (PAL or NTSC) will be able to display all game versions correctly, e.g. NTSC game on a PAL console will play EXACTLY as it has been intended, at 60hz, just as you would play it on a genuine NTSC console with a NTSC CD - no differences of speed, artifacts etc.

6) Regarding the choice of the model number, 55xx is preferred due to better audio circuit which has been made worse in the later versions.

Cheers!

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: The ultimate PAL/NTSC and PSX model number question

Post by Matt » January 20th, 2016, 3:32 am

brontozaur wrote:Hi there,
I did some searching, I think I gathered the answer from different pieces but still I just want to figure this out once and for all. It would be cool if someone knowledgeable commented if these are all true:

1) With PSIO, it doesn't matter whether you have PAL or NTSC version of the console, or whether you have PAL or NTSC game images, provided that you use RGB out. (NTSC game on a PAL machine, PAL game on NTSC machine).

2) So there is absolutely no point for someone in Europe to ship a console from the U.S., if one wants NTSC, and vice versa, because PSIO makes the choice between PAL and NTSC consoles redundant (given that you don't care about the CD drive).

3) With PSIO, RGB to VGA boards like the GBS 8220, which are said to 'like' NTSC signal much better, would be able to get NTSC signal from a PAL console.

4) In order to play NTSC games on PAL console with the PSIO, no further hardware modifications, save for the installation of the PSiO itself, are necessary, provided that you use RGB out.

5) With PSIO, all console versions (PAL or NTSC) will be able to display all game versions correctly, e.g. NTSC game on a PAL console will play EXACTLY as it has been intended, at 60hz, just as you would play it on a genuine NTSC console with a NTSC CD - no differences of speed, artifacts etc.

6) Regarding the choice of the model number, 55xx is preferred due to better audio circuit which has been made worse in the later versions.

Cheers!
1) Yes, so long as you are using RGB out (or have done a colour mod) then you're good to go.

2) PSIO will boot any region game, but it's up to your PSX if it will output the correct colour burst frequency, plus, your TV has to also accept the signal.

3) You can't get an NTSC signal from a PAL console without installing another oscillator. The best you can get is PAL60, but even so, the colours are a little weird I've noticed (read here for more information under [Multisystem PAL support and "PAL 60"]). See here also.

4) Correct.

5) Yes, whilst It will play in the correct VSync frequency, some games use the R3000A's free running timer as a sync for audio, such as "Bust A Groove", so they will be off-sync. However, most games work fine. There are just a few said games that won't run in-sync.

6) Not sure about that. People say the 100x has the best audio, and I can agree to a certain extent with that theory, but I would need to conduct my own tests in order to agree with the said outcome of these so called "audiophile PlayStations".

brontozaur
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by brontozaur » January 20th, 2016, 4:13 am

Many thanks for the answers. So it turns out that getting a NTSC console makes sense after all, if one wants best compatibility with NTSC games and with the GBS 8220 board?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » January 20th, 2016, 4:36 am

brontozaur wrote:Many thanks for the answers. So it turns out that getting a NTSC console makes sense after all, if one wants best compatibility with NTSC games and with the GBS 8220 board?
Yes. Otherwise, you'll need to do a serious mod to a PU-18 (or specific PU-8's) PSX in order to dual-oscillator mod it.
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=628

brontozaur
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by brontozaur » January 20th, 2016, 4:46 am

Shadow wrote: Yes. Otherwise, you'll need to do a serious mod to a PU-18 (or specific PU-8's) PSX in order to dual-oscillator mod it.
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=628
And assuming I wanted to turn a PAL console into NTSC without dual system functionality, is this as simple as replacing the oscillator to another one? Am I right to think that the hardware is exactly the same between the two, except for the oscillator? This thing worked on PAL famiclones-you just re-solder an oscillator and poof-you've got a NTSC console.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » January 20th, 2016, 2:21 pm

Yes, you can do that, but be minded that the BIOS and HC05 would also need to be swapped.
If you're not using RGB, you'll get a bad boot picture because the BIOS is set to PAL mode.
It will render games at the correct speed however.