Buying a new (used) PSX, recommended version?

Request new features or ask for existing features to be fixed or updated
zredgemz
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Re: Buying a new (used) PSX, recommended version?

Post by zredgemz » October 25th, 2016, 11:52 am

aloram wrote:
eric90000 wrote:So whats the general consensus on the best model....SCPH-1001 as Shadow said? I heard that the early PS1's can sometimes have stuttering FMV, maybe that's just if they have a bad laser?
I'd recommend a 5501. The 1001 has the best audio, but it's less reliable.
Don't they both have the same audio chipset? i got both myself and i am pretty sure i read an article linked on this forum about those being the best playstations for audiophile's.

aloram

Post by aloram » October 25th, 2016, 12:05 pm

I did a lot of research this past winter, and the consensus seems to be that the 1001 has the best sound, and it's the "audiophile's choice." I don't really notice those kinds of differences myself, I'm just passing on what I've read.

The "newest" lasers are in the PSOne (SCPH-101), the final revision of the Playstation. Those can be swapped into models that are compatible with the PSIO, such as the 5501. (Read earlier posts in this thread for more information.) I bought a barely-used PSOne and put the laser into my 5501, using the ribbon cable below, purchased from that specific seller. I, too, installed the MM3 modchip, to use it for any games that don't work with the PSIO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Playstation ... 0990485296

zredgemz
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by zredgemz » October 25th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Either way the 101 model does have atleast one great advantage, the video out on the 101 can be used to plug in the Guncon so you can have s-video or RGB picture while still being able to use a light gun(you need a compatible CRT for RGB or a RGB to component conversation).

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » October 25th, 2016, 5:00 pm

There was a topic somewhere I think that said the 7500 series change the way dithering was handled, or it handled something a little differently.