Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: Feature Requests

Post by Matt » July 6th, 2018, 5:21 pm

wanderer wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Well, support for wireless controllers would be awesome.
wouldn't it be possible with a bluetooth dongle to have support for wireless controllers ?
Yes, that would be possible, but we would have to design a new circuit board to retro-fit inside the original controller plastic case/shell. Then we would need the transmitter plugged into the console itself, which means getting a housing injection moulded as well as the pins for the standard PlayStation controller connector.

wanderer
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by wanderer » July 6th, 2018, 8:42 pm

I was more thinking of plugging a bluetooth dongle with the psio cartridge (using a mini usb to usb adaptor). Then the psio cartridge would stream the input from the wireless controller of your choice (like a dualshock 4 controller for example, I wasn't thinking about the original controllers for the ps1) into wherever it is normally inputed on the motherboard. I'm not sure what such a solution would take as I'm no technical expert but maybe some pad emulation as well as some additional wires on the switch board ?
Open PS2 Loader already does it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edpPOxaIXK8
Except PS2 consoles already have usb ports to plug a bluetooth dongle
Modding your original controller and fitting a transmitter into the controller port wouldn't be anything new. I've seen examples more or less similar here and there on the net. In a sense, doing it the way you mentioned wouldn't set it apart from what people can already do on their own.
Sincerely if the psio cartridge would support wireless controllers the way OPL does it and virtual memory cards along with what psio already does then it would really set it apart from any flashcart project out there on the market.

Dig_dug_93

Post by Dig_dug_93 » July 7th, 2018, 11:43 am

Why not hunt down a Katana Dual Force 2 controller. It's one of the best licensed wireless 2.4ghz controllers you can get.

Jaggy
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Jaggy » July 7th, 2018, 10:55 pm

wanderer wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Well, support for wireless controllers would be awesome.
wouldn't it be possible with a bluetooth dongle to have support for wireless controllers ?
You can already get wireless controller support with the Brook PS3/PS4 to PS2 dongle. It supports wired & wireless PS3 and PS4 controllers. I use one myself with a DualShock 3, DualShock4 and Madcatz TE Fightstick and all work perfectly on the PS1.

:cross :square :triangle :circle

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » July 8th, 2018, 1:59 am

PSIO can't control the controller inputs though. The controller bus is wired directly to the CPU.

Jaggy
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: Feature Reque

Post by Jaggy » July 12th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Matt wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 1:59 am
PSIO can't control the controller inputs though. The controller bus is wired directly to the CPU.
Oh of course, I was just pointing out to the person making the feature request that such a thing already exists :)

No need to wait for anything related to PSIO if all you need is a wireless controller dongle.

Morden
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Morden » December 4th, 2018, 7:46 am

If these were already requested, I apologize. Digging through pages, I did not find them, so here goes:

● Ability to boot PlayStation executables directly, without having to build an entire image. This is extremely handy for testing single file homebrew.

● Ability to play back XA audio and STR video from game images.

● Screenshot dumping onto the SD card.

Both of these features are present in a PS Hacker cartridge I own. You could browse the CDs freely, booting whatever executable that you could find, or playing media files in supported formats. If the media was compiled into a bigger file, you could run an analysis of the file, which would produce the XA and STR media list. Upon reset, you also had access to the last image displayed on the screen.

With the PS Hacker, which was an AR clone, you still had to burn a CD, or use an original one, but if these features were present in a much less sophisticated device, I'm sure they could be added to the PSIO. Personally, I'd really appreciate the loose executable booting.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 6th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Funny. Originally PSIO was going to be called PSSD (PlayStation Secure Digital) and when I started drawing up really crude test images for the Menu System, it looked like this and had such features because of the fact I used to own one of those "PS Hacker" cartridges. In the end, PSIO sounded more unique so I went with that instead. I will add these features eventually, but at the moment they aren't a priority. The first one will of course be loading PS-EXE's directly via USB for homebrew.

Later on, I came up with this and that is where the final Menu System came from.
Attachments
example_psio_os.png
(20.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pssd_menu_001 copy.png
(101.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Lollie
Just Joined
Just Joined
I am a: Artist, hobbyist dev
PlayStation Model: 1002/5502

Post by Lollie » December 11th, 2018, 1:19 am

Matt wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 1:59 am
Damn, I actually came here with a couple input-related feature requests. I'll post them anyway just for the sake of getting concrete answers, although I'm gonna assume they're not things that PSIO is capable of doing.

1) Playback of emulator "movie" files (pre-recorded inputs), for tasks like automated testing, or console verification of Tool-Assisted Speedruns.
If possible, I'd suggest the BK2 format - or rather, the plain-text "Input Log.txt" file inside ".bk2" zip archives. BizHawk is a popular tool for authoring TASes, and the "official" emulator package of TASVideos.org.

2) The ability to read/sniff PS1 gamepad input during gameplay via PS-IO's USB port, for debugging purposes.
I was hoping this could be doable via the PSIO Systems Console by displaying a list of raw values for each button on all detected controllers. Or maybe by initializing a virtual XInput gamepad, so that devs could roll their own gamepad visualization tool if required.

fernan1234

Quick option to load last game played

Post by fernan1234 » December 11th, 2018, 3:21 pm

My feature request is for a way to make it easier to load the last game played.

I'm not sure if this was requested before, so apologies if this is already known/in the works. Depending on what is easier to implement on the system menu, I am thinking of either

1) While on system menu, pressing START (or some other button/button combo) to instantly load the last played game (like Everdrive carts do).

or

2) When the system menu loads the cursor/selector defaults to the last item selected on the game/folder list of the SD card's root.

Would any of these two options, or something else entirely, be easy to incorporate in a future firmware? It would make things a lot nicer for people with lots of folders on their SD cards, as there is no folder navigation and the search function does not always work.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 11th, 2018, 6:14 pm

We can add a favorites list, but we need to add the code to the ARM which allows writing to the SD Card first. It's on our to do list :)

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 » December 12th, 2018, 12:53 am

A favorites list would almost do the trick, though the user still would have to spend time on editing it over time. It would definitely be an improvement.

Maybe further down the road with SD card writing implemented the PSIO could also generate a "recently played list". Everdrives also do this, calling up the list with the SELECT button usually.

friendsxix
Just Joined
Just Joined
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by friendsxix » December 12th, 2018, 8:55 pm

This might sound stupid, but would it be possible to add a feature allowing the user to cosmetically swap the boot order of the BIOS and the PS-IO menu? That is, the normal boot process is: BIOS -> PS-IO Interface -> Game. To make the experience feel more authentic, could fastboot be used to skip the boot screen, and then could the BIOS be booted again after a game has been selected?

In essence:
BIOS (fastboot'd) -> PS-IO Interface -> BIOS -> Game.

Assuming any of the aforementioned is even technically feasible to begin with, could the BIOS also be forced to display the game's intended SCEA/SCEE/SCEI and "Sony Computer Entertainment America"/"Sony Computer Entertainment Europe"/"Sony Computer Entertainment Inc." strings?

This is an entirely frivolous feature request, but I think it would be pretty cool. :P

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » December 12th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Not possible to do without recreating the BIOS introduction from scratch which would either involve getting the source code from Sony (which they probably don't even have anymore) or spending hundreds upon hundreds of hours disassembling it and ripping out all the initialisers to just keep the GPU and SPU routines.