Memory Card access with PS-IO - PROBLEMS!!!

Request new features or ask for existing features to be fixed or updated
RetroProf

Memory Card access with PS-IO - PROBLEMS!!!

Post by RetroProf » August 7th, 2018, 9:47 pm

Please, PLEASE for the love of god re-allow access to the memory card management screen when PSIO is plugged in.

I asked this once before, here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1159

The official response was simply to pop the SD card out. Which worked perfectly. It booted to the standard original BIOS screen. Today I updated my PSIO after more than a year of using the old version, and discover this no longer works. The new version's UI is awful.

When I try to boot the PS1 without an SD card plugged in it crashes at the load screen saying "No Menu File Found" or something like that. It is now impossible to access the original BIOS and memory card manager.

Removing the PSIO each time is not an option. My PS1 is wedged into my cabinet in such a way that I can access the SD card, but not remove the PSIO unit itself, or the PS1. I have to shift my arm behind the dusty cabinet, blindly remove the PSIO unit, and then can slide my PS1 out. Putting it back is the reverse of this.

I was forced to do this in order to reorganise all my me cards. Then when I put the PSIO back in, TWICE my system would not recognise it. The metal you used seem to be made from peanut butter for all the durability they have. Now the PSIO is back in, after a third attempt, and it's working. But I am terrified of removing it again. Are you going to replace free of charge my modded PS1 and or PSIO unit after one or both units cease working due to popping the unit in and out multiple times every day?

I honestly question whoever thought removing access to the memory card screen was a good idea.

Just think about this for a second, please.

You produce a product designed to allow hundreds of PS1 games to be played. An official memory card holds 15 games' worth of saves, sometimes less. So really you're looking at most people needing 10+ memory cards. I personally have 10 official cards and 2 cheapo unofficial cards. Keeping track of game saves is a nightmare, requiring regular maintenance, copying, shifting, deleting, and just plain checking to find that specific save.

Despite this, you thought it would be a good idea to prevent people from actually accessing their save data. WHY?!

I like the product. You did miracles getting it to work as well as it does. BUT JESUS. When I see basic User Interface fails like this, I need to seriously facepalm. It's like trying to the latest version of Windows where access to basic functions are hidden from users.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE RE-ALLOW ME TO ACCESS MY OWN SAVE DATA. PLEASE.

I tried looking up a homebrew utility for PS1 save management, on a PS1 itself, but could find nothing. Presumably because every unit comes with its own software to do this. I have a utility to test controllers in a folder on each of my PSIO SD cards, and a solution would be for a utility to manage saves. Does such a thing exist?

Because right now, I literally cannot use your product any more because I can now never find out which card has which save on it.

WHY?!?!

fille1976
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Re: Memory Card access with PS-IO - PROBLEMS!!!

Post by fille1976 » August 8th, 2018, 12:43 am

They are working to implement a memory manager,they said it earlier.
Have patience please.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » August 8th, 2018, 10:13 am

Thanks for the feedback 'RetroProf'! I couldn't agree more with you and this is a flaw in the system we clearly have overlooked. Originally the "System Loader" program I wrote had an option to go back to the BIOS, but I removed it to make the code small so when it's initially programmed to the PSIO Cartridge it's done very quick.

This can be seen here in this early prototype:

For now, I'll see if I can add the standard built-in Memory Card manager from the BIOS back until ours is completed. I'm just so busy at the moment that development time is limited. I will try to get around to it ASAP however. I will reply back to this topic you started when I have completed the task and released the new update for you. Be sure to subscribe to the topic so you will be emailed.

I apologise for the inconvenience. Thanks :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_1662.JPG
(322.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet

RetroProf

Post by RetroProf » August 9th, 2018, 6:01 pm

fille1976 wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 12:43 am
They are working to implement a memory manager,they said it earlier. Have patience please.
I was aware of the desire to implement a memory manager. However, I personally don't require that. I just need access to the hardware's original BIOS as was previously available.

Either that, or a homebrew utility which allows memory card management and can be placed in a folder, as a BIN file, like I did with the controller utility for PS1 (called "PadTest").
Matt wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 10:13 am
Thanks for the feedback 'RetroProf'! I couldn't agree more with you and this is a flaw in the system we clearly have overlooked. Originally the "System Loader" program I wrote had an option to go back to the BIOS, but I removed it to make the code small so when it's initially programmed to the PSIO Cartridge it's done very quick.
This can be seen here in this early prototype:
For now, I'll see if I can add the standard built-in Memory Card manager from the BIOS back until ours is completed. I'm just so busy at the moment that development time is limited. I will try to get around to it ASAP however. I will reply back to this topic you started when I have completed the task and released the new update for you. Be sure to subscribe to the topic so you will be emailed.
I apologise for the inconvenience. Thanks :mrgreen:
I see! Thanks for the explanation. Does removing the code for accessing the BIOS make it load that much faster? I cannot speak for everyone, but for me personally, given that I'm something of a "heavy user" of PSIO, I spend far more time removing and replacing the unit than I would waiting for it load. Presumably. Not sure how much bigger the prototype was.

I've subbed to the topic and look forward to developments.

In the mean time, I suppose I'll just have to keep a notebook handy listing each card's contents.

Since there does not appear to be a homebrew utility for managing memory card data, can anyone recommend a game which allows you to view the contents of both cards and delete data from other games? Something with the visual easiness of Symphony of the Night, but with the ability to delete stuff like in Aliens Trilogy.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 9th, 2018, 6:11 pm

The purpose of the 'System Loader' was so that whenever new users of PSIO would plug in their cartridge and it would fail to boot, this menu would popup instantly so they didn't think their brand new cartridge was broken.

Don't worry, I'm working on it...
I'll try to have it released as soon as possible. Hopefully before this weekend :praise

Attachments
IMG_2768.JPG
(155.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet

RetroProf

Post by RetroProf » August 9th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Wow! This weekend? That's fast. How long has the menu been like this? I literally only looked into updating a couple days ago. No need to rush - I'm just happy knowing this is in the pipeline.

Anyway, I found this cool piece of software:
http://onorisoft.free.fr/retro.htm?psx/psx.htm

If you scroll to tools, there's a Pocket Station utility. It's meant to allow deleting and uploading of Pocket Station data and saves, but it also allows viewing and deletion of regular mem card data (though only in MC1).

A nice workaround for anyone in a hurry. I actually emailed the author, because it seems like a nice utility which, with a bit of modification, could be popped onto anyone's SD card and completely replace the need for accessing the original BIOS. It just needs the ability to access both cards and copy data between them. (Sony's built in mem card tool is in truth a bit slow...)

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 13th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Fixed: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=1143&p=13406#p13406
Download them from the 'Downloads' section on the PSIO website :)

RetroProf

Post by RetroProf » August 13th, 2018, 9:21 pm

WONDERFUL! THANK YOU!

I shall be updating shortly. :D

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 13th, 2018, 9:25 pm

RetroProf wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 9:21 pm
WONDERFUL! THANK YOU!

I shall be updating shortly. :D
Anytime good sir 8-)

RetroProf

Post by RetroProf » August 13th, 2018, 10:23 pm

I'm getting a "Page Not Found" error when clicking the V2.6.2 download.

EDIT:
I got the download by removing the "1" at the end of the ZIP URL.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 13th, 2018, 11:58 pm

Ah, good find. That's a typo. I've fixed it now.