Making a legal backup of a Playstation CD on the PS1 and store directly in the SD Card.

Request new features or ask for existing features to be fixed or updated
Tgames
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Making a legal backup of a Playstation CD on the PS1 and store directly in the SD Card.

Post by Tgames » July 10th, 2017, 6:48 am

Hi,

I don't know if it was posted before.
It will be nice if we can backup legaly own PS1 games thanks to the PSIO and store the backup directly into the SD card without using any PC software/burner.

I have lot of PS1 games and it will be nice to make 1:1 backups directly with the PS1.

Today lot of laptop don't have a CD burner...
And if we want to respect legal personnal backup copy...

Best Regards.

MateriaMind
Lives in the PSXDEV Server
Lives in the PSXDEV Server
I am a: Nurse
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Re: Making a legal backup of a Playstation CD on the PS1 and store directly in the SD Card.

Post by MateriaMind » July 10th, 2017, 4:23 pm

If it was even possible to rip your discs straight to PSIO, it would take forever. Quite literally 1 game over the course of a day or two. The PS1 laser only reads at bytes/ kilobytes per second. Take a game like Final Fantasy VIII, which is 600+megs per disc and you should see where I'm going with this. So, either just download the REDUMP set, OR buy a disc drive that hooks up via USB- LG makes a good one for like $40 USD. All computers come with multiple USB's so either downloading them or using the portable disc drive is a non-issue as you'll be utilizing the USB ports anyways. Besides, having a PSIO you'll eventually have to update the firmware so using a PSIO without a PC is a damn near impossibility. Hope this helps.
"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: Making a legal backup of a Playstation CD on the PS1 and store directly in the SD Card.

Post by Matt » July 10th, 2017, 8:51 pm

This has been asked before, and I even though about it when PSIO was a concept, but the problem is, data corruption is too high. The lasers in the PSX are horrible, so for it to read the whole disc defeats the purpose of PSIO in the first place. It's a double-edged sword problem :)

dark-schneider
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by dark-schneider » August 3rd, 2017, 5:55 am

What they said... plus, in many countries, there's no such thing as a "legal" backup of copyrighted content anyway. Any attempt to duplicate copyrighted content is considered a violation of copyright regardless of purpose or intent to distribute.

It's a broken system.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » August 3rd, 2017, 8:58 pm

It is a broken system, but it's legal in Australia after a court case in the late nineties was ruled in favour for the use of backups in PlayStation 1 consoles. Our company is from Australia where this is legal, so the use of PSIO in international countries/states is up to the consumer. We validate this check by asking to confirm/continue with booting PSIO on first-boot of a new PSIO Cartridge, and it's in our 'Terms and Conditions' which all agree to also when checking out from our shop.