Physical CD drive needed for PSIO?

Request new features or ask for existing features to be fixed or updated
awesum
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Physical CD drive needed for PSIO?

Post by awesum » October 7th, 2016, 2:42 am

I've read all over the place how PSIO doesn't affect the functionality of the physical CD-ROM drive. But does PSIO actually require that a physical drive be present at all? I'd rather not keep the drive inserted, e.g., for easier cleaning and airflow.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: Physical CD drive needed for PSIO?

Post by Matt » October 7th, 2016, 4:35 am

No. You don't need a CD-ROM drive at all :)

aloram

Post by aloram » October 7th, 2016, 7:12 am

awesum wrote:I've read all over the place how PSIO doesn't affect the functionality of the physical CD-ROM drive. But does PSIO actually require that a physical drive be present at all? I'd rather not keep the drive inserted, e.g., for easier cleaning and airflow.
Just be aware that there are currently a lot of games that don't play perfectly, and the team has never guaranteed 100% compatibility, so you might want to keep the drive connected. Speaking of which: Shadow, do you foresee a day when every game works? I know that's a big question, but I'm just curious what your thoughts are almost a year after launch.

Thanks.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » October 7th, 2016, 7:26 am

It might be possible to get every game to work. We're actually going to re-code the entire core engine of PSIO at some point, so that should fix almost all the problems with software titles at the moment. It doesn't happen overnight though. This is a huge task, but it's something we foresee happening eventually :)

lord_raymon
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by lord_raymon » October 7th, 2016, 8:23 am

Shadow wrote:It might be possible to get every game to work. We're actually going to re-code the entire core engine of PSIO at some point, so that should fix almost all the problems with software titles at the moment. It doesn't happen overnight though. This is a huge task, but it's something we foresee happening eventually :)
Fixed! :dance

Just kidding xD

Good to know :praise

aloram

Post by aloram » October 7th, 2016, 11:24 am

Shadow wrote:It might be possible to get every game to work. We're actually going to re-code the entire core engine of PSIO at some point, so that should fix almost all the problems with software titles at the moment. It doesn't happen overnight though. This is a huge task, but it's something we foresee happening eventually :)
Sounds good. I always appreciate your detailed, honest responses.