Menu feature request concerning multi-disc games

Request new features or ask for existing features to be fixed or updated
cr4zymanz0r
Just Joined
Just Joined

Menu feature request concerning multi-disc games

Post by cr4zymanz0r » August 2nd, 2016, 7:03 am

Short Version: In the PSIO main menu if you select a game with multiple discs, have an option to select which disc you want to load initially.

Long Version: Currently my understanding of multidisc games is you will create a folder such as "Final Fantasy 9", then put all the disc images in it, then appropriately format the MULTIDISC.LST file and put it in the same directory.
So in this example I would have the "Final Fantasy 9" folder on the root of the SD card and it would contain:
Final Fantasy 9 (disc 1).bin
Final Fantasy 9 (disc 2).bin
Final Fantasy 9 (disc 3).bin
Final Fantasy 9 (disc 4).bin
MULTIDISC.LST

Initially this would work fine. You'd finish disc 1, game would prompt you to insert disc 2, then you remove and reinsert the SD card to trigger the 'disc' swap. However, the issue is once you've reached this point, when you come back to play the game later your save is for disc 2. You'll load FF9 through PSIO where it defaults to the first disc, then you'll load your save which will prompt you to insert disc 2, then you'll pop out the SD card card and put it back in every time you boot your system up and go to play your disc 2 save. When you get to disc 3 or 4 then you'll be taking the SD card in and out even more each time you boot up the game and load your save for later discs.

Now I assume you could put each disc in it's own folder on the root of the SD card and use the MULTIDISC.LST advance redirecting like in the Gameshark example in the manual, but if I understand correctly then you'd have to make a MULTIDISC.LST for disc 1, disc 2, and disc 3 folders. Assuming it would will work like that, it's a silly and cumbersome solution.

My request is that when you select a properly setup multi disc game in PSIO from the main menu, that there be an additional option to select which disc image you want to load. So If all my FF9 disc images along with MULTIDISC.LST are in one folder called "Final Fantasy 9", then I can scroll down to that game in the PSIO menu, select it, then there's an additional option or submenu for me pick between Final Fantasy 9 (disc 1).bin, Final Fantasy 9 (disc 2).bin, Final Fantasy 9 (disc 3).bin, or Final Fantasy 9 (disc 4).bin.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: Menu feature request concerning multi-disc games

Post by Matt » August 2nd, 2016, 4:59 pm

I'll have a look into it.

citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi » August 3rd, 2016, 1:21 am

Take a look at the USB-GDROM. It handle disc swapping like that. You hit a button to "queue up discs" which is essentially building a multidisc file on the fly. then hit another button to start.

eightbitminiboss
I am a: Technician
Motto: You gonna eat that?
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501

Post by eightbitminiboss » August 3rd, 2016, 11:29 pm

cr4zymanz0r wrote:Short Version: In the PSIO main menu if you select a game with multiple discs, have an option to select which disc you want to load initially.

Long Version: Currently my understanding of multidisc games is you will create a folder such as "Final Fantasy 9", then put all the disc images in it, then appropriately format the MULTIDISC.LST file and put it in the same directory.
So in this example I would have the "Final Fantasy 9" folder on the root of the SD card and it would contain:
Final Fantasy 9 (disc 1).bin
Final Fantasy 9 (disc 2).bin
Final Fantasy 9 (disc 3).bin
Final Fantasy 9 (disc 4).bin
MULTIDISC.LST

Initially this would work fine. You'd finish disc 1, game would prompt you to insert disc 2, then you remove and reinsert the SD card to trigger the 'disc' swap. However, the issue is once you've reached this point, when you come back to play the game later your save is for disc 2. You'll load FF9 through PSIO where it defaults to the first disc, then you'll load your save which will prompt you to insert disc 2, then you'll pop out the SD card card and put it back in every time you boot your system up and go to play your disc 2 save. When you get to disc 3 or 4 then you'll be taking the SD card in and out even more each time you boot up the game and load your save for later discs.

Now I assume you could put each disc in it's own folder on the root of the SD card and use the MULTIDISC.LST advance redirecting like in the Gameshark example in the manual, but if I understand correctly then you'd have to make a MULTIDISC.LST for disc 1, disc 2, and disc 3 folders. Assuming it would will work like that, it's a silly and cumbersome solution.

My request is that when you select a properly setup multi disc game in PSIO from the main menu, that there be an additional option to select which disc image you want to load. So If all my FF9 disc images along with MULTIDISC.LST are in one folder called "Final Fantasy 9", then I can scroll down to that game in the PSIO menu, select it, then there's an additional option or submenu for me pick between Final Fantasy 9 (disc 1).bin, Final Fantasy 9 (disc 2).bin, Final Fantasy 9 (disc 3).bin, or Final Fantasy 9 (disc 4).bin.
That's what I'm doing currently. It is indeed quite the workaround, but it works. So I can't really complain. It's not something I see myself doing over and over again. All the multi disc games I care about are already set up this way.

MateriaMind
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
/// CYBDYN SYSTEMS ELITE ///
I am a: Nurse
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by MateriaMind » August 4th, 2016, 5:42 pm

I have my discs for games like Final Fantasy 7 in their own respective folders on the root of the SD card- that way I can choose a disc if I'm on disc 2 or 3 and I just altered my MULTIDISC file to load from the root of the SD card as opposed to the same folder with three images. Works great, check the manual.I'm just hoping the lid-switch mod via PSIO is still a possibility.
"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!"