External HD?

Request new features or ask for existing features to be fixed or updated
kruuth

External HD?

Post by kruuth » July 25th, 2016, 9:00 am

Are there any plans to add support for an external hard drive like through USB?

nakions

Re: External HD?

Post by nakions » July 25th, 2016, 10:30 am

ya i also want to know that , in addition does the psio in the current state have an usb connector soldered on ? if yes is it possible with an fw upgrade to use this to load games from it ? or does the usb load thing require a new pcb model ?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » July 25th, 2016, 5:39 pm

At the moment, we don't have any plans. However, depending on the popularity of PSIO and how well it does, we may invest into developing such an option. It would require a new PCB design. The current model does have a USB port, but it's not a host device which means a USB Flash ROM or HDD can not be plugged into it. Even if you tried, it wouldn't even power up the plugged in device because of the PCB configuration.

kruuth

Post by kruuth » July 30th, 2016, 1:28 am

It'd be nice since there isn't zip support meaning you either need to have multiple SD cards or keep updating the one in the unit. It'd be nice to be able to load from an HD or USB.

Xblackxlungzx
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Xblackxlungzx » July 30th, 2016, 4:33 pm

I agree it would be awesome if Cybdyn made a new pcb with support for external hds. I think you can fit a complete ps1 romset on a 3-4tb external hd but sd cards are also getting bigger and cheaper (i think there is even a 512gb sd card out right now) lets just hope Cybdyn works towards fully supporting larger sd cards or external hds in the future. It would be a dream to have the whole library in one place. If you have a large collection of roms, i believe you can also boot the games individually from your pc via the usb port.

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » August 1st, 2016, 7:20 am

One would "assume" that cybdyn is taking this under consideration for the DCIO project. Perhaps if he does, PSIO can be retrofitted....

cr4zymanz0r
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by cr4zymanz0r » August 1st, 2016, 8:14 am

Personally I'm fine with SD cards. 128GB SD card should be more than enough for me (should work after formatting to FAT32). However, I'm only concerned with putting good games on the SD card. I'm not trying to be rude, but I honestly don't understand 'needing' to have a fullset of CD based games connected to PSIO or similar devices where hundreds of gigs will be devoted to garbage games that will never get played. Plus I kinda enjoy the solid state nature of SD cards where I don't need additional power plugs or have to worry much about it dying when it'll mostly just be doing read operations.

Xblackxlungzx
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Xblackxlungzx » August 1st, 2016, 4:08 pm

I am also fine with sd cards and 128gb sd card should be able to fit a really good amount of games over 100 games easy. I fully understand what you mean. For me i still feel a little different. To each his own i suppose haha. Its not really about "needing" a full set of games it would just be nice to have that capability. Everdrives already exist and hold full romsets and you can have a full set on even dreamcast now. I think this device has the potential to be that good as well. Besides with cards getting bigger and bigger every year seeing a couple Tb sd card in the future isnt too far-fetched. Although it would be really nice to have, im not too worried about a having a usb port. I do still hope Cybdyn decides to make it compatible with newer, larger cards down the road though maybe a few years from now but I am still very happy with the PSIO and what it can do and thankful for all that Cybdyn does ... PSIO is awesome

kruuth

Post by kruuth » August 2nd, 2016, 6:56 am

I understand, and I wouldn't really mind SD either, but it'd be nice in some instances. How hard would it be to implement zipped images on this?

Libanonc
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Libanonc » August 2nd, 2016, 6:42 pm

Just joined for reply on this HDD option.
Been waiting for psio for couple years and missed out both times (will have my chance).
Regarding HDD..... SD card is no different as SATA controller.
Once I have seen mini usb to SD card adapter and you could plug USB key into.
Maybe it exist or could be MADE IN CHINA :D SATA to SD card adapter.
It will be additional povered of course.
I have PS2 SATA adapter and it works perfectly with 1TB disk.
Just rambling, but I am pretty shure, that there is no technical obstacle to made adapter (controller) SATA or USB to SD.
There will be no upgrade necessary on PSIO since it will be SD card adapter pluged in PSIO SD card slot.
Will scout internet for sata to sd card adapter like I have found CF adapter that accepts 1.8 micro sata discs and SD cards (both at once).
That was my HP pocket Ipaq era (sold ages ago).

EDIT
After 15 minutes I found this little sh..t.
(delete link if not allowed)
http://www.hwtools.net/ExtenderBoard/EXM2E.html

It is M.2 ssd adapter to sd card slot Only the price is 50USD and the price for big M.2 SSD is a whole bunch of 64GB cards.
Have to find DX prices ;)

citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi » August 3rd, 2016, 1:40 am

Those m2 cards must be key E. I do not know of any key e ssd drives.

Libanonc
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Libanonc » August 4th, 2016, 9:01 pm

Toshiba announced on Flash Memory Summit 2015 that in ultrathin aplications it would use Toshibas BG1-SSD whit NVMe in M.2-2230-Form.
That adapter was just example resulting in 15 min quick search fpr SDIO adapter.
There maybe be other format of SD adapters (to sata, msata, micro usb,..)

It was just a thinking bone for PSIO developers.

Do not know tehnical limitation of PSIO adapter and its SD card controller Chip or chips.
But if it is a small chance that there is no limit in PSIO hardware to support larger SDIO cards (adapter connected to SD port) with firmware update then it is good way to go, to keep PSIO adapter as is.
That way everybody who already has PSIO would not have to change a thing (buy new revision of PSIO hardware) but just update of firmware.

Anyhow waiting for next PSIO batch if I will be quick enough to get one.

kruuth

Post by kruuth » August 9th, 2016, 6:51 am

So like would something like this work:

http://www.saelig.com/product/MIO001.htm

citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi » August 9th, 2016, 7:49 am

kruuth wrote:So like would something like this work:

http://www.saelig.com/product/MIO001.htm
That adapter has a hard limit of 32gb. Its been tested with the wiiu community. Its also incredibly slow.

Libanonc
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Libanonc » August 9th, 2016, 7:59 pm

This USB adapter is not so bad (alternative to use both SD and usb).
First the speed this adapter is very slow yes, but just for wii console since it has dvd drive and need 66.48 Mbit\s.
Playstation 1 only need 300 kB\s.
And second (I think i read here) users report that sdxc cards 64GB works perfectly in PSIO (formatted correctly).
So in this theory a 128GB or more Fat formatted USB disk should work (in theory).
If I would OWN PSIO, I could test my rambling at my own expenses for hit and misses and report what is working and what not.
I found M.2 to SDIO adapter (key E) and then Mpcie to M.2 (key E) with additional power supply

IN OTHER HAND, PS1 HAS MORE THEN OVER 2000 GAMES SO WE ARE LOOKING 1,5TB OR 2TB HDD SPACE.
Not to mention 150 game title limit in PSIO menu (I think I read that also here).

In conclusion, as I re-read my rambling 32GB sd cards or now 32GB usb keys (will buy adapter) is more then enough for quality playing.
Only hoarders (hamsters) will go trough money and hustle to "maybe" achieve all PS1 library on one media and working menu (list of all games) in PSIO.

I have dropped idea (as of NOW) to have HDD or something big to hold all games.
Now only thing now will go and buy that USB adapter if somehow I get my hands on f... PSIO adapter.

Best regards to all!

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Embedded Developer

Post by Yuri » October 11th, 2016, 11:25 pm

in background i'm doing some D&R (development and research) under new versions of psio,
or new capabilities, like IDE bus extension or direct access to IDE ATA hdd,
and mcu with usb-host capabilities,