Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: Feature Requests

Post by Matt » July 6th, 2018, 5:21 pm

wanderer wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Well, support for wireless controllers would be awesome.
wouldn't it be possible with a bluetooth dongle to have support for wireless controllers ?
Yes, that would be possible, but we would have to design a new circuit board to retro-fit inside the original controller plastic case/shell. Then we would need the transmitter plugged into the console itself, which means getting a housing injection moulded as well as the pins for the standard PlayStation controller connector.

wanderer
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by wanderer » July 6th, 2018, 8:42 pm

I was more thinking of plugging a bluetooth dongle with the psio cartridge (using a mini usb to usb adaptor). Then the psio cartridge would stream the input from the wireless controller of your choice (like a dualshock 4 controller for example, I wasn't thinking about the original controllers for the ps1) into wherever it is normally inputed on the motherboard. I'm not sure what such a solution would take as I'm no technical expert but maybe some pad emulation as well as some additional wires on the switch board ?
Open PS2 Loader already does it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edpPOxaIXK8
Except PS2 consoles already have usb ports to plug a bluetooth dongle
Modding your original controller and fitting a transmitter into the controller port wouldn't be anything new. I've seen examples more or less similar here and there on the net. In a sense, doing it the way you mentioned wouldn't set it apart from what people can already do on their own.
Sincerely if the psio cartridge would support wireless controllers the way OPL does it and virtual memory cards along with what psio already does then it would really set it apart from any flashcart project out there on the market.

Dig_dug_93
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by Dig_dug_93 » July 7th, 2018, 11:43 am

Why not hunt down a Katana Dual Force 2 controller. It's one of the best licensed wireless 2.4ghz controllers you can get.

Jaggy
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Jaggy » July 7th, 2018, 10:55 pm

wanderer wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Well, support for wireless controllers would be awesome.
wouldn't it be possible with a bluetooth dongle to have support for wireless controllers ?
You can already get wireless controller support with the Brook PS3/PS4 to PS2 dongle. It supports wired & wireless PS3 and PS4 controllers. I use one myself with a DualShock 3, DualShock4 and Madcatz TE Fightstick and all work perfectly on the PS1.

:cross :square :triangle :circle

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » July 8th, 2018, 1:59 am

PSIO can't control the controller inputs though. The controller bus is wired directly to the CPU.

Jaggy
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Re: Feature Reque

Post by Jaggy » July 12th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Matt wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 1:59 am
PSIO can't control the controller inputs though. The controller bus is wired directly to the CPU.
Oh of course, I was just pointing out to the person making the feature request that such a thing already exists :)

No need to wait for anything related to PSIO if all you need is a wireless controller dongle.