[SOLVED] PSIO does not see all the games in the SD card

Feel free to go ahead and ask for Help and Support or check out what's already been answered from other customers
Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: [SOLVED] PSIO does not see all the games in the SD card

Post by Matt » April 8th, 2016, 10:02 pm

eightbitminiboss wrote:Might be worth noting to future incidents to use tools like SDFormatter or GUIFormat to properly format SD cards. Operating system format tools are usually not great.
Will do. I will add it to the Systems Manual :)
However, it would be better if we released a patch for this 'bug'. We'll try to do it soon.

zeruel85
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zeruel85 » May 2nd, 2016, 5:25 pm

I just want to add some other infos. I also tried to use third party SD formatter tools, such as SDFormatter, EaseUS Partition Manager and so on (always on Win10) and the problem persisted. I think it's not related to W10 in-build SD Formatting tool, but the problem is W10 itself. Using other Windows (7 or XP) or GNU/Linux solves the problem.

Thanks for your constant support. :)

EDIT: I also noticed that, if I format the SD card with GNU/Linux, then copy some games, they work, but if I switch to Win10 and add other games, these new games copied on W10 aren't recognized from PSIO (even if the SD card has been formatted on GNU/Linux). I hope these infos can help you. :)

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 2nd, 2016, 6:24 pm

zeruel85 wrote:I just want to add some other infos. I also tried to use third party SD formatter tools, such as SDFormatter, EaseUS Partition Manager and so on (always on Win10) and the problem persisted. I think it's not related to W10 in-build SD Formatting tool, but the problem is W10 itself. Using other Windows (7 or XP) or GNU/Linux solves the problem.

Thanks for your constant support. :)

EDIT: I also noticed that, if I format the SD card with GNU/Linux, then copy some games, they work, but if I switch to Win10 and add other games, these new games copied on W10 aren't recognized from PSIO (even if the SD card has been formatted on GNU/Linux). I hope these infos can help you. :)
Thank you for this information! It really helps us as well as others :)
We will look into it and report the diagnosis soon.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 2nd, 2016, 7:24 pm

Well I formatted under Windows 10's default format utility from 'This PC", and copied the MENU.SYS file and a folder, and it works fine. I'll need more information about your system to diagnose further.

Please run "MSINFO32" in a CMD prompt and then go "File -> Export" as a text document and send me it in a PM please. Depending on your configuration, it may take a minute or two to export.

zeruel85
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zeruel85 » May 2nd, 2016, 7:44 pm

Shadow wrote:Well I formatted under Windows 10's default format utility from 'This PC", and copied the MENU.SYS file and a folder, and it works fine. I'll need more information about your system to diagnose further.

Please run "MSINFO32" in a CMD prompt and then go "File -> Export" as a text document and send me it in a PM please. Depending on your configuration, it may take a minute or two to export.
Ok, I'll do it as soon as I can boot on W10. Meanwhile, if you want/can, just try to copy few more games, not only one. It's a random process. Sometimes the same game showed up in the menu, sometimes not (I mean the EXACTLY same game, no matter which one). Try also to copy a bunch of games, e.g. 20/30 games. In my case the menu shows only few of them (7 of 20, or 10 of 30, and so on randomly).

zeruel85
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zeruel85 » May 2nd, 2016, 8:34 pm

Here it is. It's in Italian language by the way, I hope it's not a problem.
Attachments
msinfo32.txt
(469.21 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 2nd, 2016, 9:02 pm

Okay so your machine is: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.10586 build 10586.
The system I used was: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240.

My Windows 7 machine that works and was used for testing is: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601.

Your Windows 10 is a newer version and build, and I don't see any service packs (don't know if there are even any available for Windows 10 yet), but either way, if this was a bug (in theory) Microsoft would have fixed it since the version changes. Anyway, I'll keep testing and start to debug. I'll report any issues :)

eightbitminiboss
I am a: Technician
Motto: You gonna eat that?
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501

Post by eightbitminiboss » May 3rd, 2016, 5:06 pm

For the record, I did my formatting on Windows 10 Pro as that's my current machine.

10.0.10586 Build 10586

Granted builds may have changed since I've initially done it.

Edit: I want to ask a silly question. These ISO's don't have some permission thing on them from your computer do they? Not sure if that matters or not for the PSIO.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 3rd, 2016, 5:25 pm

eightbitminiboss wrote:For the record, I did my formatting on Windows 10 Pro as that's my current machine.

10.0.10586 Build 10586

Edit: I want to ask a silly question. These ISO's don't have some permission thing on them from your computer do they? Not sure if that matters or not for the PSIO.
So does your Menu System for PSIO mess up also?
No, the security permissions shouldn't make a difference at all.

eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss » May 3rd, 2016, 6:21 pm

Shadow wrote:
eightbitminiboss wrote:For the record, I did my formatting on Windows 10 Pro as that's my current machine.

10.0.10586 Build 10586

Used a SD card I never used on the PSIO. Formatted it with SDFormatter. Copied over freshly downloaded System Menu V1.2.3 from the download page. Copied over 46 ISOs from my backup folder. Booted it up and it sees all 46 ISOs and booted up a few of them. Works fine.

I can only figure it's something to do with zeruel85's setup or he has a bad card.

zeruel85
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zeruel85 » May 3rd, 2016, 6:25 pm

eightbitminiboss wrote:
Shadow wrote:

10.0.10586 Build 10586

Used a SD card I never used on the PSIO. Formatted it with SDFormatter. Copied over freshly downloaded System Menu V1.2.3 from the download page. Copied over 46 ISOs from my backup folder. Booted it up and it sees all 46 ISOs and booted up a few of them. Works fine.

I can only figure it's something to do with zeruel85's setup or he has a bad card.
5 SD cards all bad? I think not. In fact, after formatting all of them with GParted, they all work very well. Maybe something related to my PC or OS, but I really don't know what could be.

eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss » May 3rd, 2016, 6:28 pm

Then it's your setup. Something on your machine within Windows is not working as intended. What are you using to connect your SD card to your computer? Do you have an alternate device to use?

zeruel85
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zeruel85 » May 3rd, 2016, 6:31 pm

eightbitminiboss wrote:Then it's your setup. Something on your machine within Windows is not working as intended. What are you using to connect your SD card to your computer? Do you have an alternate device to use?
I have in-build SD card reader (it's a notebook) but I also tried with an external usb 3.0 reader (Anker AR200 iirc). Same problems with both.

eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss » May 3rd, 2016, 6:39 pm

Well that is weird. Because I use an Anker AR200 as well and didn't have issues.

Only thing else I can guess is the language difference between English and Italian and their respective keyboard layouts?

zeruel85
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zeruel85 » May 3rd, 2016, 6:54 pm

eightbitminiboss wrote:Well that is weird. Because I use an Anker AR200 as well and didn't have issues.

Only thing else I can guess is the language difference between English and Italian and their respective keyboard layouts?
Well, I really don't know honestly. BTW, fortunately, I use GNU/Linux very often, so it's not a big deal for me using it to copy my games onto the SD card of PSIO. But it's a strange issue, I'm just curious what it could be.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 3rd, 2016, 7:42 pm

Well this isn't good. If we can't replicate this problem on our end and we are hearing conflicting results, then it'll have to be ignored. From what I can understand, it does sound like it could be a language problem. The only way I can debug this is I'd have to have one of your 'faulty' SD Cards on hand so I can debug it at the low level. I reckon though that the folders have some sort of a weird header going on from the language locale, and the PSIO firmware doesn't like what it sees, so it's completely messing up how to organise the data for the Menu System.

As a test, please try formatting under Windows 10, but copy everything from Linux (that includes MENU.SYS as well as the games folders).

remowilliams
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by remowilliams » May 24th, 2016, 4:29 am

I think I've had something very similar happen, and it is very bizarre. But I seem to have been able to replicate it.

Symptom: Game is in directory, but PSIO says 'no image found'

Platform: Windows 10(10240), Inateck USB3, Anker A7612 USB3 multicard reader, Anker USB3 Hub (68ANHUB-B10A), Sandisk 32GB microSDHC UHS-1, Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB

Put simply - if I extract (using winrar) the .7z backup compressed files directly to the Sandisk card, PSIO seems to say 'no image found'

If I take the exact same file and extract it to an intermediate destination (like one of the PCs main drives) and then copy those files using explorer to the uSD - the PSIO is happy and seems to recognize the images without issue.

The source (backup file drive) doesn't seem to be a factor as I copied the entire archives from the original 3.5 backup HD to the Seagate.

Note that none of this gear has had/is having any issues with any other operations, just the PSIO.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » May 24th, 2016, 11:28 pm

remowilliams wrote:I think I've had something very similar happen, and it is very bizarre. But I seem to have been able to replicate it.

Symptom: Game is in directory, but PSIO says 'no image found'

Platform: Windows 10(10240), Inateck USB3, Anker A7612 USB3 multicard reader, Anker USB3 Hub (68ANHUB-B10A), Sandisk 32GB microSDHC UHS-1, Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB

Put simply - if I extract (using winrar) the .7z backup compressed files directly to the Sandisk card, PSIO seems to say 'no image found'

If I take the exact same file and extract it to an intermediate destination (like one of the PCs main drives) and then copy those files using explorer to the uSD - the PSIO is happy and seems to recognize the images without issue.

The source (backup file drive) doesn't seem to be a factor as I copied the entire archives from the original 3.5 backup HD to the Seagate.

Note that none of this gear has had/is having any issues with any other operations, just the PSIO.
I find extracting from an archive directly to the SD Card causes the problem too, also if there is an apostrophe (') in the title. We'll take a look into it when we can. Thanks :)

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » August 6th, 2017, 8:07 pm

Just to note, this was part of a bug present in the ARM/Menu System lower than ARM 2.4.8 and Menu System 2.4.15.
Thanks goes out to 'PascalP' for sending in his SD Cards so we could diagnose this issue and solve it once and for all.

Here was the diagnosis report sent back to him:
Hi,

The issue was a problem in the ARM and Menu System. The ARM was sending to the PSX (Menu System) an array of the files and directories on the SD Card, but the array contained 0x00 (nulls) throughout it. What I did was I changed them to 0xFF and in the Menu System logic, I then scan and check all data up until it detects 0xFF. This then allows 0x00 (which in the FAT system are actually files with no archive bits set) to be detected and read in to then be displayed in the Menu System games list.

As for the other SD Card, it reported "NO FILESYSTEM" which was a serious error. This seemed to be caused by the SD Card actually failing to be detected/initialised correctly by the ARM. To fix it, we used another address line on the PSIO hardware (PCB) to detect the SD Card. We also noticed that the micro to standard SD Card adaptor was a bit funny, so we used our own and that now has seemed to fix the problem.

Thank you so much for your help in sending the SD Cards in. It's really good to finally have fixed this bug since there were about 4 or 5 others customers complaining about it too, but we just couldn't figure out why.

Regards,
- Matt.

Firmware Update Information: viewtopic.php?f=80&p=12663#p12662

zeruel85
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by zeruel85 » August 6th, 2017, 8:41 pm

Thanks guys for your work! :)