[SOLVED] PSIO does not see all the games in the SD card

Feel free to go ahead and ask for Help and Support or check out what's already been answered from other customers
zeruel85
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

[SOLVED] PSIO does not see all the games in the SD card

Post by zeruel85 » April 6th, 2016, 11:34 pm

Hello.

I've just installed the switch board and configured my new PSIO.

Everything's working fine, except for one thing: the Menu System (v1.2.3) shows me only 7 games, but I put into the SD card a lot more of them. They are all made in the same way (folder containing BIN file, plus CU2 sheet if necessary).

I've already upgraded the ARM, the FPGA and the Menu System to the latest versions. I've also done a chkdsk to the SD card and nothing went wrong.

What can I do? Thanks for your support. :)

EDIT: other infos: I have an SCPH-7000 NTSC-J console and a Samsung Evo 16GB UHS-I.

SOLUTION:
I formatted the SD card with GParted from Ubuntu GNU/Linux instead of using the standard partitioning program from Windows 10.
Last edited by zeruel85 on May 2nd, 2016, 6:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: PSIO does not see all the games in the SD card

Post by Matt » April 6th, 2016, 11:43 pm

Can you do a:

Code: Select all

tree /f /a > tree.txt
in a command prompt window for me so I can see your directory listing please? Thanks.

zeruel85
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by zeruel85 » April 7th, 2016, 1:16 am

Shadow wrote:Can you do a 'tree /f /a > tree.txt" in a command prompt window for me so I can see your directory listing please? Thanks.
Here it is.
Attachments
tree.txt
(3.8 KiB) Downloaded 138 times

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » April 7th, 2016, 2:13 am

Strange. Everything looks fine to me. Maybe try using a different SD Card?

zeruel85
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by zeruel85 » April 7th, 2016, 2:21 am

Shadow wrote:Strange. Everything looks fine to me. Maybe try using a different SD Card?
I tried with two different PSIO cartridges and they have the same behaviour, so the problem is not related to PSIO, I guess.

Just to add another info... The actual SD card is formatted in FAT32.

Ok, I'll try another SD card and I'll let you know. Thanks for now.

zeruel85
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by zeruel85 » April 7th, 2016, 2:29 am

@Shadow: is it possible that the problem consists in cluster size during the SD format? Maybe I have to choose 4096B or something else when I format it.
Last edited by zeruel85 on April 7th, 2016, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » April 7th, 2016, 3:31 am

Use 32K. The quote below is taken from here.
4096 bytes may be too small, and your SD Card may have damaged reserve sectors ;)

If that works for you, I'd be quite interested to grab that SD Card from you so we can do an integrity check in the Menu System on SD Cards that have an exceedingly high fragmentation count.
Shadow wrote:32K is okay to use since there will be tiny files such as BMP's and LST files which will help minimise the fragmentation count, but it's enough for binary images too. It just means the card will have a higher fragmentation count because most of the files on the card are very large. I never played around with the cluster sizing, but realistically, a larger cluster size would probably benefit better considering most if not all of the files are generally large. All-in-all though, it wont make a difference towards PSIO since the ARM logic handles fragmentation exceedingly well, but personally, I'd stick to 32K :)

zeruel85
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by zeruel85 » April 7th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Here I am. I did multiple tests. I tried with the same SD card and cluster size 32k. Same problem. Then I decided to delete all the games and keep only one of those games that does not show up in the Menu. Result: 'No Image Found'.

So I changed the SD card, thinking that the problem was with my previous one. I used a Lexar 4GB class-4, formatted as FAT32 and 32k as cluster size. Unfortunately, same result. Only one game (Ape Escape NTSC-U SCUS-94423) in the new SD card and it does not see the image. I also checked the MD5 and compared with the one written on redump.org website. It perfectly matched (de4e7ab78c08bd03712e83c14d4cf642).

Link:
http://redump.org/disc/3086/

Then I tried a third SD card. Result? Same error 'No Image Found'. Tried with 32k and also 'predefined' cluster size. MD5 checked and matched.

I don't know what to do now. Please help me to understand what's going on. Thanks.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Embedded Developer

Post by Yuri » April 7th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Do you see Menu is loading well?
You should place the game into a folder.
Menu checks through folders, and image should have extension like : ISO or BIN or IMG.
Try to use short name of the games's folder and the game image (like: "APE_ESCAPE.BIN").

zeruel85
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by zeruel85 » April 7th, 2016, 8:08 pm

cybdyn wrote:Do you see Menu is loading well?
You should place the game into a folder.
Menu checks through folders, and image should have extension like : ISO or BIN or IMG.
Try to use short name of the games's folder and the game image (like: "APE_ESCAPE.BIN").
The Menu is loading pretty well.

Check the 'tree.txt' that I have previously attached. I used the following syntax: SD:/ape escape/ape escape.bin

zeruel85
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by zeruel85 » April 7th, 2016, 8:30 pm

Ok, this is very strange!
I tried another Ape Escape's bin file, same MD5, and it works! A friend of mine that purchased another PSIO, told me to try another bin file, and it works! But, I repeat, the MD5 is THE SAME! Also, I opened the two bin files with HxD and made a compare, every single byte inside them is IDENTICAL! But my image does not work, and this new one (that is IDENTICAL) works flawlessly!

This is very uncommon! What do you think about that? Obviously all the three SD cards now work.
Last edited by zeruel85 on April 7th, 2016, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Yuri » April 7th, 2016, 8:35 pm

we would also recommend to format the SD card before use. (if you didn't do it, and just deleted all files).

zeruel85
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by zeruel85 » April 7th, 2016, 8:42 pm

cybdyn wrote:we would also recommend to format the SD card before use. (if you didn't do it, and just deleted all files).
I formatted all the 3 SD cards before beginning all the operations. Why two different (but identical in every single byte) files works in different mode? Or better... One works but the other not...

EDIT: look at this screenshot, no differences found, but one file works (the one with underscore), but the other not:

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » April 7th, 2016, 9:00 pm

That is extremely strange. We are puzzled.

Could you please take a photo of what your Menu System looks like. I mean, does it actually show more than 7 folders? If that's the case, if you click on say, folder number 12, does the Menu System say, "No Image Found"??

zeruel85
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by zeruel85 » April 7th, 2016, 9:39 pm

ASAP I will post what you asked. I am also uploading the two bin files. I saw that the dates of last edit are different from one another, so maybe the problem is related to something like this, dunno.

RetroProf
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by RetroProf » April 8th, 2016, 6:00 am

Not to butt in when it's not my stuff but...

Have you tried renaming your "bad" file, so that there is no space in it? Put an underscore like the "good" file has, or just remove the space.

I remember a long time ago, circa Win98, having some problems with something, and it was due to the file naming structure. I forget what. I think it was some early PCE emulator or something. Or perhaps I was burning CD-ROMs for Dreamcast... Anyway, it totally screwed itself until I created a simpler name.

Since then, for the last 20 years, I have religiously stuck to simple file names. No spaces. No strange characters. Not too long (8 letters or less if I can help it).

Looking at your situation, I was reminded of this. Try renaming the bad files that didn't work, adding the underscore like the good files, and see if that fixes it?

Yuri
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Yuri » April 8th, 2016, 6:34 pm

actually we suggest , maybe he used Italian, instead of English/US.

zeruel85
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by zeruel85 » April 8th, 2016, 7:08 pm

cybdyn wrote:actually we suggest , maybe he used Italian, instead of English/US.
Actually my Samsung Evo 16GB UHS-I is formatted in FAT32 (with 32k cluster size) and in attachment you can see the new tree.txt file.

And here is the result:

Attachments
new-tree.txt
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

zeruel85
Active around PSXDEV
Active around PSXDEV

Post by zeruel85 » April 8th, 2016, 8:10 pm

SOLVED!

The problem was the partitioning from Windows 10 Home. Now I formatted the SD card in FAT32 with GParted (from Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS) and everything is ok.

Thanks anyway for your support. It's just curious why the default partitioning program in Windows did not work for me. I don't know...

eightbitminiboss
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV
I am a: Technician
Motto: You gonna eat that?
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501

Re: [SOLVED] PSIO does not see all the games in the SD card

Post by eightbitminiboss » April 8th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Might be worth noting to future incidents to use tools like SDFormatter or GUIFormat to properly format SD cards. Operating system format tools are usually not great.