Strange wallpaper corruption

Feel free to go ahead and ask for Help and Support or check out what's already been answered from other customers
Anapan
Just Joined
Just Joined
PlayStation Model: PU-22

Strange wallpaper corruption

Post by Anapan » January 11th, 2019, 2:34 am

After having tried out several games on the PSIO, and having it work flawlessly, I decided to try customizing my wallpaper. I found that every image I try shows up partially or fully corrupted. The bottom half may or may not display correctly, and the top half will show in a different hue, sometimes panned over to the right various amounts. Always the top few visible scan-lines will consist of randomly colored pixels.
I found that I can remove and insert the SD card to have the corruption change. After the error message, and reinserting the SD card, more or less of the bottom will show uncorrupted image. Repeating this process will sequentially reveal more of the uncorrupted image, tho the top few lines are almost always messed up.
I've tried changing SD cards and it does not change this behavior.

SCPH-7501
NTSC-C
All the latest FPGA and menu installed.
Attachments
PSIO_WALL_CORR.jpg
(167.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Anapan on January 11th, 2019, 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NRGDEAD
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Re: Strange wallpaper corruption

Post by NRGDEAD » January 11th, 2019, 3:03 am

I had that occasionally when experimenting. And since I and a few other people hat trouble running games based on the way the SD card was formatted, it might have something to do with that.
Do you know how exactly you formatted the cards used? Windows 10? What cluster size?
And does it work when you re-format the card on Windows 10 with a 1024k cluster size?

Anapan
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Anapan » January 11th, 2019, 6:39 am

I formatted them both on Windows 7 Pro x64. One using sdcard.org's formatter tool's "overwrite format", and one using Windows Disk Management console to exFAT with 256k allocation unit size. The main card I'm trying to get working is a Class 4 64GB SDXC, the 2nd I tried in order to rule out the card itself was a Class 10 16GB MicroSDXC. Both SanDisk, tho I only bought the 16GB from a genuine SanDisk verified reseller.

I just tried formatting a 3rd SD card, this time to 1024K Cluster Size in Windows Disk Management Console (Still Windows 7, but a different machine). It has the same result - corrupted background.

Since these are all SanDisk, I'm going to boot up a Windows 10 tablet, and install Paragon Partition Manager into it, and try formatting an 8GB Lexar SDHC to FAT32, with 1024kb clusters. I'll report back shortly.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » January 11th, 2019, 2:11 pm

It could be something else such as a poor connection on the Parallel Port or a faulty VRAM or RAM bank. You'll have to test it on another PlayStation console but this isn't a bug with PSIO.

Anapan
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Anapan » January 11th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Hmm, I can't seem to find a solution with what I have here. When I formatted an 8GB Lexar in Windows 10 to 1024kb cluster size it did boot more often without wallpaper corruption, but it still occasionally happened. As well, every time I insert and remove the sd card it changes the background display. I'll be helping my friend install his PSIO shortly; He damaged the motherboard on his PS1, so he's looking for another right now. I'll be able to test out whether it's my playstation causing the issue then.
Thanks for the help. Not a big deal; I'll just be running without a background image for the time being. I switched back to 256kb allocation unit size so I could cram one more game on.