Strange issue with PSIO when using Brook PS3/PS4 to PS2 controller converter

Feel free to go ahead and ask for Help and Support or check out what's already been answered from other customers
ceephax
Just Joined
Just Joined

Strange issue with PSIO when using Brook PS3/PS4 to PS2 controller converter

Post by ceephax » December 25th, 2018, 8:06 am

Hi Matt,

I'm hoping you can provide some insight into what might be happening with my PSIO. Mine arrived last week and has been working great so far, however today I purchased a Brook converter (http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/44237976/) which allows you to use a Dualshock 4 (or 3) wirelessly with PS1 and PS2 consoles.

Whenever I switch on my PS1 whilst the converter is plugged into the controller port, the PSIO goes through the initialisation process just as it did when I used the PSIO for the first time straight out of the box. After finally booting into the main menu I found I'd lost all my PSIO settings.

After going through the intialisation process a couple of times I tried switching my PS1 on with the converter unplugged and luckily the PSIO booted normally. So I then plugged in the converter at the games list screen and the PSIO settings menu then popped up, with each individual setting moving onto the next available option (Menu music on -> off for example). My thoughts were that when the converter first receives power from the console it does some kind of input test where it tests all available buttons. So this led me to think, does the PSIO get forced into initialisation mode when certain buttons are pressed on boot up and could this be the issue I was having with the converter plugged in when switching on the console?

I've also found that plugging in a normal controller until the PSIO is fully booted into the games list, then unplugging the controller and lastly plugging in the converter prevents both the initialisation and weird menu issue.

Any ideas what might be happening here?

Cheers

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: Strange issue with PSIO when using Brook PS3/PS4 to PS2 controller converter

Post by Matt » December 26th, 2018, 3:38 am

Does it send the button combination 'START' + 'SELECT' on power on?

ceephax
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: Strange issue with PSIO when using Brook PS3/PS4 to PS2 controller converter

Post by ceephax » December 27th, 2018, 3:08 am

Cheers Matt, I've just tried the start+select thing with a normal dualshock connected and it boots the initialisation screen the same as it does when the Brook converter is connected so I can only assume this is what the converter is doing when powered on. I'll contact Brook about it to see if this is something they may be able to address with future firmware.

vj88
I am a: Gamer
PlayStation Model: DTL-H3000
Steam: vj88

Post by vj88 » January 4th, 2019, 6:18 am

I have just bought the same converter.. no problems here, everything works as usual (with an official dualshock 3). :shrug :)

EDIT: Same problem now... it must be something that goes wrong on converter side, I have noticed that if I turn on dualshock 3 as soon as power on ps1 everything goes well... otherwise PSIO reset.
Playstation: Net Yaroze DTL-H3000
(with AK4309AVM mod and DTL-H1100 external PSU)
Menu System: 2.6 build 5
ARM Firmware: 2.6.1
FPGA Firmware: STY3 02/12/2018
PSX BIOS: V2.2 NTSC-UC

ceephax
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by ceephax » January 6th, 2019, 4:38 am

vj88 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 6:18 am
I have noticed that if I turn on dualshock 3 as soon as power on ps1 everything goes well... otherwise PSIO reset.
I've just tried this, turning on my DS4 at the same time as the PS1 also works fine for me. I'll just need to remember to do this each time in future!

Not PSIO related, but another issue I have found with the converter is that my PS1 has a hard time reading and writing to the memory card when the converter is also being used but can be read fine when a normal controller is connected. Have you had any experience of this?

vj88

Post by vj88 » January 6th, 2019, 5:02 am

Not yet...no problem at all with saves but I have tested this for a short time... maybe it will give me the same problem in the future as for the reset thing, everything was perfect till today (more or less three days). I will keep you updated! :D

Jaggy

Post by Jaggy » January 7th, 2019, 10:00 am

ceephax wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 4:38 am
Not PSIO related, but another issue I have found with the converter is that my PS1 has a hard time reading and writing to the memory card when the converter is also being used but can be read fine when a normal controller is connected.
Thanks for the heads up, I bought one of these adapters too while waiting for my PS-IO, but now I'm hesitant to use it if it is interfering with memory card access. I'd hate to lose a save due to corruption, so I'll wait and see if this issue can be resolved.

vj88

Post by vj88 » January 7th, 2019, 10:16 am

Jaggy wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 10:00 am
ceephax wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 4:38 am
Not PSIO related, but another issue I have found with the converter is that my PS1 has a hard time reading and writing to the memory card when the converter is also being used but can be read fine when a normal controller is connected.
Thanks for the heads up, I bought one of these adapters too while waiting for my PS-IO, but now I'm hesitant to use it if it is interfering with memory card access. I'd hate to lose a save due to corruption, so I'll wait and see if this issue can be resolved.
I haven't got any issues related to saves or memory cards till now, to be honest. I will let you know if this will happen to me too. Ps I'm waiting for a second converter so I will do some more testing in the future :D

EDIT: still no issue with saves but if you use it with a multitap memory card can't be detected (have to try again, I did just a quick test)...so it must do something to the memory card...

bricewgilbert
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by bricewgilbert » January 8th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Just adding myself to the list of people who have experienced this as well. I haven't had any memory card recognition issues, but I do have to turn the controller on when I turn the console on or it will go through the setup process again.

Interesting note that I bought this Brook device as I heard memory cards worked with it. There are cheap wireless dual shock controllers found all over Ebay and other sites that stop memory cards from working due to some issues with Dual Shock 2 controllers. Seems like official PS2 controllers would do that as well. Somehow the brook devices doesn't have this issue.

vj88

Post by vj88 » January 8th, 2019, 10:22 pm

The converter must send a start+select combination looking for a controller and this makes PSIO reset but not every time, cause yesterday, I forgot to power on my controller and PSIO starts normally (probably cause I had an original dualshock 2 plugged into port 2). :shrug
In my case memory "disappears" only using Brook with a multitap ( crash team racing from PSIO and memory on port 1, have to test other ports and the real disc), using an official dualshock 2 (four dualshock 2 to be honest) doesn't cause problems at all instead.
Have to remember that there are lots of dualshock 2 models: I have noticed that later models seems to vibrate less than older with ps1 for example.
Tested with medievil: with an earlier controller can feel the vibration on every step of Sir Daniel.
Older model has a pin less
https://imgur.com/a/rBScRj4
The cable is also different:
https://imgur.com/89UCvQj

EDIT: confirmed, memory card doesn't works with brook+multitap and it's not a PSIO problem cause memory disappears also in BIOS.

Jaggy

Post by Jaggy » January 9th, 2019, 3:00 am

Can anyone confirm that these issues also happen on a system running from disc without the PS-IO or switchboard installed?

If so, then we should probably contact Brook.

vj88

Post by vj88 » January 9th, 2019, 6:14 am

I can do this... have four different ps1 fat and two slim :roll:
I will try soon and update.

EDIT: I have tried with three different ps1:
1) PAL fat ps1, no problem with memory cards at all but same problem with multitap+brook
2) NTSC J fat ps1, no problem with memory cards at all but same problem with multitap+brook
3) PAL slim ps1, no problem with memory cards at all but same problem with multitap+brook
4) I have other ps1 but I think that the result will be the same...

So... I don't have that issue with saves and memory cards that ceephax has in none of the three
ps1 + my net yaroze with PSIO (for the moment)... but multitap and brook doesn't work well together at all.
Last edited by vj88 on January 9th, 2019, 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jaggy

Post by Jaggy » January 9th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Thanks for testing, if there are no memory card issues then I can live with the other bugs for now.

ceephax
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by ceephax » January 10th, 2019, 5:08 am

I'm happy to report that the issue appears to be with my memory card and not the converter.

The one I was using was third-party, however I've just picked up an official Sony memory card and it is working fine so far. I'll report back if there are any issues after a bit more use but things are looking good at the moment.

vj88

Post by vj88 » January 10th, 2019, 10:48 am

ceephax wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 5:08 am
I'm happy to report that the issue appears to be with my memory card and not the converter.

The one I was using was third-party, however I've just picked up an official Sony memory card and it is working fine so far. I'll report back if there are any issues after a bit more use but things are looking good at the moment.
I'm happy for this, Good for you! :mrgreen: I forgot to mention that I'm using only official ps1 peripherals on my console (excluding the converter), so, my tests were performed with Sony official memory cards, multitap and dualshock 3 controller.
PS: someone with a better knowledge of English who knows how to report to brook the problem with the multitap+converter and memory card? :praise

Jaggy

Post by Jaggy » January 11th, 2019, 1:12 am

Good news about the memory card issue, thanks for following up.

I can make a report to Brook about the Multitap problem, but I’d like to test it myself first, which I’ll be able to do sometime early next week.

vj88

Post by vj88 » January 11th, 2019, 1:46 am

Jaggy wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 1:12 am
Good news about the memory card issue, thanks for following up.

I can make a report to Brook about the Multitap problem, but I’d like to test it myself first, which I’ll be able to do sometime early next week.
Great, it could be a problem caused by my multitap but I sincerely doubt it cause it has problems only if used with the converter.
EDIT: I'm buying a scph-111 multitap model...let's see if that will work fine.

vj88

Post by vj88 » January 16th, 2019, 1:32 pm

I just pulled my playstation 2 multitap out of a drawer... it has two connectors: one goes into memory port and the other into controller port while ps1 multitap goes only in controller port... if I'm not wrong brook converter was created thinking about ps2 so I think that cause of this difference it won't never work with ps1 multitap. :crying