PSIO Won't Boot - Blinking LED

Feel free to go ahead and ask for Help and Support or check out what's already been answered from other customers
Kayura

PSIO Won't Boot - Blinking LED

Post by Kayura » October 2nd, 2018, 2:52 pm

Hello,

Got my PSIO! Thank you! :D I searched for this issue but didn't find a solution.

I performed the switch install as per instructions on a PU-22 mainboard. After I completed the switch install, I tested it twice without the console all reassembled. It worked fine and booted into the menu system.

Then, I completely reassembled the console. Added the updates for the firmwares to the SD card and powered it on. I don’t think it even tried to update.

The console went directly to the PSX menu (Memory Card / CD player) and the PSIO’s yellow light just blinked continuously. I waited awhile just to make sure it wasn't updating. Powered off and on to retest, led starts blinking right away and never stops. Decided to tear down the console again and tested again, same behavior. I rechecked all the wring and trace cuts with a multimeter and everything seems to be in order. Not sure what happened here… :shrug

Tried to connect the PSIO to Windows via USB but it won’t even be recognized. Did I kill something? Hope not... :shock:

Any help is appreciated… Thank you.

EDIT: Adding Soldering References
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1loIV-P ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15I-_r1 ... sp=sharing

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: PSIO Won't Boot - Blinking LED

Post by Matt » October 2nd, 2018, 3:51 pm

Make sure it's plugged into the PlayStation and it is making a good connection. If it continues to blink and it is indeed faulty, you'll have to send it back to us and we'll replace it free of charge (don't worry, we will pay for the shipping to send back your replacement). Sorry about that, but let me know how you go :)

Eatitup_86
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Eatitup_86 » October 3rd, 2018, 7:45 am

I am experiencing the same issue only I had a different experience after re-assembly.

Here are the steps I took.
1: Tested normal discs and they work fine.
2: Powered off the PS1, inserted SD Card with Menu.Sys + 1 image in a folder into the PSIO, Plugged in the PSIO.
3: Powered on the PS1, The white boot screen showed then it reset, white screen again, then a screen that said PSIO on it at the bottom showed up but nothing happened after 5+ minutes.
4: Powered off the PS1 & hooked a USB cord up to the PSIO.
5: Powered on the PS1 while the Windows systems console was on, it detected it after the double reboot behavior and I was able to start up SotN and play without music.
6: Powered off the console & unhooked the USB cable then inserted a different SD Card with Menu, Firmware, & ARM update on it thinking it may not be reading the first one properly.
7: Powered on the console, The PSIO was blinking very quickly so I just let it sit but it booted to the PS1 normal system menu as if there were no disc present. Waited 30+ minutes and nothing happened just continued fast blinking.
8: Powered off & swapped to the other SD Card again but with the update files on it.
9: Same behavior as 7 but with a slowly pulsating light.

Now the PSIO seems disfunctional and if I put a disc in there while the PSIO is hooked up it will corrupt the normal playstation boot screens and never get to the game.

Without the PSIO the Playstation functions normally.

Here are pics of my install work for reference (Tested all points for proper continuity):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 91UXSVPsAv

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 3rd, 2018, 2:10 pm

If you think your cartridge is faulty, you can send it back to us and we'll check it for you, but every cartridge is hand assembled and tested so the chance of fault is extremely low. Actually, out of all the cartridges we have sent, only 2 have been proven faulty.

Be sure to read the Terms and Conditions however so you know how the shipping costs work! Basically, if we find your cartridge isn't faulty, then you'll have to pay the return shipping, so make sure it is before sending it back to us :)

Kayura

Post by Kayura » October 4th, 2018, 3:16 am

Thank you for the reply Matt.

I think I'll try a few more steps before calling the PSIO defective and sending it back.
1. Try regular disc games, make sure they boot.
2. Inspect parallel port, and maybe reflow the solder. (I saw in other threads that this worked for some people)

I won't be able to get back to this for a couple of days, but I'll let you know. If I do send it back, do I need an RMA or anything? What is the process?

One additional thing I wanted to mention: In the documentation for the PU-22, it says to check for a short between VCC and ground. Can you clarify how this is done? Do I test from the two solder points on the switch board, or the two on mainboard? I did this continuity test many times between these 4 points (both the switch board and the mainboard) and everything seems okay. No fuses blew on power up. However, I did find that I can occasionally get a very quick beep out of my multimeter. I am assuming it's just the charge the continuity test is putting through the circuit and there's a capacitor somewhere holding onto it for a moment, but I want to be sure. Is that anything to worry about?

I can post a video or something if that helps.

Thank you!

FBX
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by FBX » October 4th, 2018, 3:42 am

The quick beep is nothing to worry about. Steady tone is when you've got a short.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 4th, 2018, 4:06 am

Kayura wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 3:16 am
I won't be able to get back to this for a couple of days, but I'll let you know. If I do send it back, do I need an RMA or anything? What is the process?
Thank you!
Tell me your order number and I'll add a note to it, but all you need to do is just send it back to the address found in your account page.

Eatitup_86
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Eatitup_86 » October 8th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Is it possible to pay for the Switch Board installation when sending in the PSIO and send it with our playstation? I feel like you need the whole package to properly diagnose what is going on here. I also did notice that the A is punched out on my board in the provided photo's while the B is punched out on your installation guide. Is there a difference in the board revisions that could be causing this?

Eatitup_86
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Eatitup_86 » October 8th, 2018, 1:46 pm

I think I may have isolated the issue. I am pretty sure it is your device's IO connector not making good contact with my Playstation. This is my childhood Playstation and it was heavily used with a Goldfinger device which has a much better connector than your own from the looks of it. The connector is longer by a few millimeters and has slightly larger pins internally + it has rounded out parts on the plastic on the left & right sides of the connector.

Maybe the Goldfinger has caused movement over the years that does not allow your device to properly make contact?

When I try using the PSIO with a PS 1 game in the drive it tries to boot but the screen corrupts & slowly moves but will never properly load. If I hook the old goldfinger up it still functions perfectly. Not to be the bearer of bad news but I think adding those changes to your device would greatly increase it's reliability. I have spoken with quite a few folks on Twitch who are not happy with their experience either since their installs just did not work at all as well.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 8th, 2018, 2:24 pm

We've not had any poor feedback in regards to the connector. It has worked on every console I have ever tried and it is in spec with the PlayStation.

It sounds like a poor Switch Board install or the connector on your console is weaker than usual because of having used a Game Shark for many years. Best thing to do is buy a "Mainboard Modification Service" and send me your board so I can take a look at it for you. Be sure to also send me your 'PSIO Cartridge' too along with the mainboard!

Renzokuken
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Renzokuken » October 9th, 2018, 12:08 pm

I will post here and bring attention to the SD CARD slot.
For where after installing the Switch Board and did a test assembly it left me to confusion where i got a freezing boot screen showing PlayStaion PSIO text only.
The culprit for this problem was poor connection between the SD card and SD card slot.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 9th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Renzokuken wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 12:08 pm
I will post here and bring attention to the SD CARD slot.
For where after installing the Switch Board and did a test assembly it left me to confusion where i got a freezing boot screen showing PlayStaion PSIO text only.
The culprit for this problem was poor connection between the SD card and SD card slot.
Sometimes you need to eject and insert the card a few times to 'strike' the pins to clear any oxidisation that may has occurred. In rare cases will the socket actually fail, but if that ever happens, just send it on back and we'll solder up a new one for you in no time :)

Kayura

Post by Kayura » October 12th, 2018, 11:41 am

FBX wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 3:42 am
The quick beep is nothing to worry about. Steady tone is when you've got a short.
Hey FirebrandX! Thanks for the response. That puts my mind at ease then. :mrgreen:

Kayura

Post by Kayura » October 12th, 2018, 11:48 am

Matt wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 3:51 pm
Make sure it's plugged into the PlayStation and it is making a good connection. If it continues to blink and it is indeed faulty, you'll have to send it back to us and we'll replace it free of charge (don't worry, we will pay for the shipping to send back your replacement). Sorry about that, but let me know how you go :)
Hi Matt,

I finally got around to testing this further! (Work has been nutty...)

I tested a handful of original PlayStation games, and they all booted and ran fine.

I also dug out my old GameShark (which uses the parallel port) and gave that a go to test the port. That also booted right up, no problem.

So now I'm virtually certain my PSIO device has a fault of some kind and will be sending it back to you to confirm. My order number was 2641.

Thank you for your support!

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 12th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Thanks. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it and keep you updated as per what the diagnosis is.

Eatitup_86
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by Eatitup_86 » October 16th, 2018, 6:19 am

So I decided to send my Playstation + PSIO to a nearby well known modder who happened to have a PSIO of his own.

He verified that my PSIO is the issue since his works fine on my playstation & mine does not work on his playstation.

I will still need to return the PSIO device itself but there is no need to send the playstation now. However, I already had purchased the mod service... is there a way it can be refunded? The order # is 4638.

Any advice for sending the PSIO itself your way from the US? I have never shipped something internationally. :\

NRGDEAD
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
Lives in the Cybdyn Systems Server
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by NRGDEAD » October 16th, 2018, 7:07 am

Eatitup_86 wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 6:19 am
Any advice for sending the PSIO itself your way from the US? I have never shipped something internationally. :\
I suggest to pay any appropriate extra fee for tracking and insurance. Better don't need insurance and have it than don't have it and need it.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 16th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Just send the PSIO Cartridge over to us. We can issue a refund for the mainboard service if you bought one. Insurance and tracking is a good idea.

Kayura

Post by Kayura » November 12th, 2018, 11:30 am

Hello Matt,

Have you seen my cartridge come in yet? It'll be a month tomorrow since it was mailed (from the United States) and I'm just wondering if it made the journey. (It's okay if you haven't gotten to it, yet.)

Thank you!

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » November 12th, 2018, 2:06 pm

I will check today and let you know :)