PSIO does not show games anymore

Feel free to go ahead and ask for Help and Support or check out what's already been answered from other customers
Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: PSIO does not show games anymore

Post by Matt » May 28th, 2017, 4:43 am

I have no idea what could be causing this. The only thing I can now suggest is that your cartridge might be faulty. Please send it back to us and we'll replace it free of charge for you so long as the warranty label is still intact. If you're interested in proceeding, send me an email and I'll start the replacement process for you.

PascalP
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by PascalP » May 29th, 2017, 12:27 am

Just had a change to borrow a psio from a buddy of mine, exactly the same results with both SD cards...

So I think it might be more related on the PS side/switchboard/BIOS...

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » May 29th, 2017, 12:52 am

It wouldn't be the Switch Board. If it were, nothing would work at all.
If only you could send me your SD Card I could try it myself and debug it better.

Have you actually tried using a different computer to copy the files?

PascalP
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by PascalP » May 29th, 2017, 1:14 am

Yes I've used my desktop with a usb 3.0 reader and my laptop with internal reader.

I could send you an image of the card if you send me some FTP details for example

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » May 29th, 2017, 1:34 am

Just upload the image via Google Drive (or anything else you'd be comfortable with) and send me the link privately :)

PascalP
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by PascalP » May 29th, 2017, 4:19 am

Matt wrote:
May 29th, 2017, 1:34 am
Just upload the image via Google Drive (or anything else you'd be comfortable with) and send me the link privately :)
done

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » May 29th, 2017, 4:40 am

Well I copied "Crash 3" and it works fine. This was from an 8 GB Lexar Platinum II 300x 45 MB/s SDHC 10 Class 1 card. The problem has to be your file copying process.

As a note, is the switch on the side of the card unlocked? We don't check for the switch state, but perhaps it's buggy on your card writer and it's causing some strange write problems.

You can also try running this command from your PC on your SD Card: attrib -h -r -s /s /d k:\*.*
(replace k:\ with your SD Card driver letter. Be careful and double check it is your SD Card before hitting enter/return).

Otherwise, there isn't much else I can do unfortunately. I'd like to solve your problem, but I don't have any way else of doing so.

PascalP
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by PascalP » May 29th, 2017, 6:04 am

double checked and the SD card is not locked, also I tried the attrib command, no ideas what it does but didn't see any change...

What could possibly go wrong with copying?
I tried 2 different Win7 machines, richt-click on the files and copy to drive J:

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » May 29th, 2017, 6:13 am

The attrib command was to ensure none of the directories and files were hidden, read only and not flagged as system files. I'm not sure entirely what could go wrong with copying, but I honestly have no idea and can't help you any further. The only other time I've seen this issue was with some Windows 10 machines, and even then we couldn't find the problem.

The only thing you could do now is actually send me your SD Card and I'll run it on my PSIO development cartridge and debug it to see what it's doing exactly. I'll send the card back for free to you once I'm done with it.

PascalP
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by PascalP » June 7th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Everything shipped your way, looking forward to the result :)

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » June 7th, 2017, 3:36 pm

PascalP wrote:
June 7th, 2017, 3:35 pm
Everything shipped your way, looking forward to the result :)
Thanks, looking forward to figuring out what is going on with it :)

FBX
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by FBX » July 1st, 2017, 4:08 pm

PascalP wrote:
May 29th, 2017, 12:27 am
Just had a change to borrow a psio from a buddy of mine, exactly the same results with both SD cards...

So I think it might be more related on the PS side/switchboard/BIOS...
Could it be something going wrong/bad in the I/O communication port of the PS1 itself? I supposed if Matt tests the same PSIO and SD cards on another PS1 and it works fine, that would prove something has gone bad on the PS1 side.

A little off topic: I remember when the Gameshark came out for the PS1, I was messing around with making codes for FF7 when I discovered I could 'brick' the Gameshark itself with a string of sequential code address lines (don't even remember what they were). I ended up having to send the Gameshark back to the company for a replacement, and they were 'concerned' to say the least about how easy it was to brick the thing with just random code entries.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » July 1st, 2017, 10:38 pm

It's the SD Card itself actually. Something to do with the FAT32 file system isn't working with PSIO, but we're still working on it.

neotwig
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by neotwig » July 13th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Matt wrote:
July 1st, 2017, 10:38 pm
It's the SD Card itself actually. Something to do with the FAT32 file system isn't working with PSIO, but we're still working on it.
I've been chasing the problem of games not showing on the menu for a while. The latest firmware and menu system still encounter missing games or games that show in the menu but won't load. I finally figured out a workaround.

First problem - if the "Archive" bit is set on a folder in Windows on the SD card, the folder will not appear in the list on the PSIO menu. Unchecking "Archive" in the folder's Properties window allowed it to appear on PSIO, but (in my case) the games still wouldn't work.

After much trial and error, I ended up finding that if I create new folders on the root of the SD card (using either a Mac, Windows Explorer, or a Windows command prompt) and move the contents of the original folders to the new ones, everything worked! Somehow during the unzipping, copying, or Batch Image Conversion process, the original folders simply wouldn't work with PSIO. So there's nothing wrong with the files, but the folders are somehow messed up.

I am using multiple operating systems so it's possible that's related to reproducing the problem. I unzipped the archives on a Mac, then transferred them to a NAS, then used PSIO Systems Console on Windows to perform Batch Image Conversion before transferring the files to a SD card. A lot of variables, but hopefully that's helpful either in tracking down the problem or at least working around it.

FBX
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by FBX » August 1st, 2017, 5:12 pm

neotwig wrote:
July 13th, 2017, 2:58 pm

I am using multiple operating systems so it's possible that's related to reproducing the problem. I unzipped the archives on a Mac, then transferred them to a NAS, then used PSIO Systems Console on Windows to perform Batch Image Conversion before transferring the files to a SD card. A lot of variables, but hopefully that's helpful either in tracking down the problem or at least working around it.
This reminds me of the work I do for profiles on the Framemeister upscaler. On that device, we occasionally get complaints from users about the files getting weirdly 'doubled' on the SD card. In every case, it was because the person used a Mac to try and put the files on the SD card. Something about those Apple products that always throw a wrench in the works. :-P

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » August 1st, 2017, 5:36 pm

Don't think we ever had a problem with Mac OS doing anything, but it seems to be Windows actually causing it. We're looking into this problem right though now actually. In a rare instance, for some bizarre reason, PSIO reports the SD Card as not having a file system, or if it does, 1 game out of 32 will only show in the Menu System.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » August 6th, 2017, 8:12 pm

PascalP
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by PascalP » August 6th, 2017, 10:44 pm

Awesome job guys! :D