Multi-Disc load issue

Feel free to go ahead and ask for Help and Support or check out what's already been answered from other customers
krisk77
Seriously Active at Cybdyn Systems

Re: Multi-Disc load issue

Post by krisk77 » October 8th, 2018, 8:27 pm

ViraLicious wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 7:37 pm
Okay...

So I have done some more testing here... I have now also tried to format my 256GB SanDisk Class 10 SD-Card with a 2048kb cluster, but with no luck. After that experiment failed I also tried to format it with a 4096kb cluster, but alas, no change. Since whatever I tired with that specific SD-Card didn't work I took one of my 32GB Class 4 SD-Cards with FAT32, also from SanDisk. But that also didn't work... No change, and I have the same problem on all games I've tried.

I find this to be really odd.

Is there perhaps a chance I could get a working multidisc.lst from someone? Just to rule out that there's nothing wrong with my list or whatever. I've gone though my files and everything multiple times so I highly doubt I've made a mistake there. Since I have many multi-disc based games I find it quite unlikely that I made a mistake with all of them. The lists load just fine and I can see the titles and everything, but the additional discs (with the exception of the first) won't boot.

Any thoughts? I honestly thought and basically expected that the 32GB card would work - if it would be a exFAT bug as you mentioned Matt. How is the compatibility when it comes to SanDisk SD-Cards?
It might also be worth to add that I am running the latest version of the menu, ARM and FPGA firmware.
It is a strange issue this I know, yet try my LST file here. It's for Xenogears NTSC/U, which was a problematic game for me earlier (disc 2 not booting from menu) but this works now using 1024 cluster size using a Kingston card.

I prefer KIngston, mainly because I was a early adopter of GDEMU/RHEA/PHOEBE and these cards proved 100% reliability rate, which some other brands did not. As a result, I kept to the same ones for other devices and for PSIO. If interested, this is the type i now use and it's flawless.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Canvas- ... %2Bsd&th=1
Attachments
MULTIDISC.rar
(118 Bytes) Downloaded 18 times

ViraLicious
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by ViraLicious » October 9th, 2018, 12:18 am

So... I have now finally solved it!

Before I start I want to thank you krisk77 for all your help! Without you I don't think I would've solved it. So much appreciated! :)

The Issue
For whatever reason my MULTIDISC.LST files seem to not have been created correctly. I used the Systems Console to create the initial LST-file, which I later edited in Notepad++. I did that basically to avoid not creating a third row, as mentioned in the Systems Manual. The files essentially looked like this when editing them in Notepad++:
Xenogears (Disc 1).bin
Xenogears (Disc 2).bin
Both titles on its own row and no third row. Since it looked good I thought it was good - not the case.

After having tested several SD-Cards it felt unlikely that they were the problem. So I had a hunch there might be something wrong with the list after all. When I tried the LST-file I got from krisk77 I was happily surprised to find that it worked just fine with Xenogears! When comparing the file I got from krisk77 with my files in the regular good old Windows Notepad, I noticed the structure was different. My files looked like this:
Xenogears (Disc 1).binXenogears (Disc 2).bin
But krisk77's looked like this:
Xenogears (Disc 1).bin
Xenogears (Disc 2).bin
For whatever reason all my files had been messed up like this, maybe after editing them in Notepad++ or something, no clue! But after fixing this they loaded instantly! Well, sort of...

After fixing this I noticed that some games still wouldn't load. Xenogears, Resident Evil 2 and others for example. So I went back and experimented with the cluster again. Now I too can confirm that I also got my multi-disc games to load properly after changing the cluster to 1024 kb!

So, anyway, now everything appears to be working properly! Am shipping over all my games to my SD-Card as I am writing this. I hope that I don't need to format the poor thing in a long time. ;)

Thanks again krisk77, you're awesome! <3
And of course big thanks to everyone who contributed here. If this is a bug, then I hope it gets solved so no one else have to "suffer" through the same frustrating ordeal.
Last edited by ViraLicious on October 9th, 2018, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » October 9th, 2018, 2:47 am

Cool, glad you got it sorted dude:).

kikujade

Post by kikujade » October 9th, 2018, 5:58 am

krisk77 wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 8:27 pm
ViraLicious wrote:
Okay...

So I have done some more testing here... I have now also tried to format my 256GB SanDisk Class 10 SD-Card with a 2048kb cluster, but with no luck. After that experiment failed I also tried to format it with a 4096kb cluster, but alas, no change. Since whatever I tired with that specific SD-Card didn't work I took one of my 32GB Class 4 SD-Cards with FAT32, also from SanDisk. But that also didn't work... No change, and I have the same problem on all games I've tried.

Is there perhaps a chance I could get a working multidisc.lst from someone? Just to rule out that there's nothing wrong with my list or whatever. I've gone though my files and everything multiple times so I highly doubt I've made a mistake there. Since I have many multi-disc based games I find it quite unlikely that I made a mistake with all of them. The lists load just fine and I can see the titles and everything, but the additional discs (with the exception of the first) won't boot.

Any thoughts? I honestly thought and basically expected that the 32GB card would work - if it would be a exFAT bug as you mentioned Matt. How is the compatibility when it comes to SanDisk SD-Cards?
It might also be worth to add that I am running the latest version of the menu, ARM and FPGA firmware.
It is a strange issue this I know, yet try my LST file here. It's for Xenogears NTSC/U, which was a problematic game for me earlier (disc 2 not booting from menu) but this works now using 1024 cluster size using a Kingston card.

I prefer KIngston, mainly because I was a early adopter of GDEMU/RHEA/PHOEBE and these cards proved 100% reliability rate, which some other brands did not. As a result, I kept to the same ones for other devices and for PSIO. If interested, this is the type i now use and it's flawless.

Kingston failed me. I purchased an SD from them and the PSIO won't read it. I formatted it using diskpart, it worked 2 times, and then stopped working. It works perfectly on windows though. I reached out to Kingston support and they said they don't support 4bit mode/SDIO mode.

My point is, Kingston is not as good as I thought..
PS4s: CUH-2015A
Xbox360s: Corona
Xbox: Xcalibur 1.6
PS3s: CECH-2511A
PS2s: V6/SCPH-30001R, V7/SCPH-39001, V9/SCPH-50001
PS1s: SCPH-7501, SCPH-5501(3), SCPH-9001
Saturns: HST-0001 VA0, VA2, VA5
Gens: Genesis 2 VA3 (3)
Wiis: RVL-CPU-01
N64s: NUS-CPU-05, NUS-CPU-02
Snes: SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-CPU-GPM-01, SNS-CPU-GPM-02, SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01
Nes: AVS NES v2

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » October 9th, 2018, 6:34 am

kikujade wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 5:58 am
krisk77 wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 8:27 pm
ViraLicious wrote:
Okay...

Kingston failed me. I purchased an SD from them and the PSIO won't read it. I formatted it using diskpart, it worked 2 times, and then stopped working. It works perfectly on windows though. I reached out to Kingston support and they said they don't support 4bit mode/SDIO mode.

My point is, Kingston is not as good as I thought..
It's quite possible it may have been a isolated case with you. I have 5 in total that I use on all my odes and flashcarts for years now and recently for PSIO and it's a brand that was verified for use with GDEMU over at Assemblergames, which I made posts about during certain stress tests that I contributed to in the forum.

NRGDEAD
I am a: Noob
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by NRGDEAD » October 9th, 2018, 8:17 am

ViraLicious wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 12:18 am
For whatever reason my MULTIDISC.LST files seem to not have been created correctly.
I think I remember reading somewhere that these need to be in DOS format, also known as "ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators" (via GNU/Linux' file command). If they're in UNIX format, it's just LF line terminators and thus it shows up as one line in software not designed to handle both - like seemingly the PSIO. Notepad++ does both, I think, but you may need to specify what exactly you want to save as.

Wikipedia has a lot of info on this topic, if you're interested.

For example, here's "file *.*" in my Metal Gear Solid directory. Should work; haven't throughly tested it yet. But I can switch discs in the menu and the cover art shows up.

Code: Select all

MGS1.BIN:      data
MGS1.CU2:      ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
MGS1.CUE:      ASCII text
MGS1.TOC:      ASCII text
MGS2.BIN:      data
MGS2.CU2:      ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
MGS2.CUE:      ASCII text
MGS2.TOC:      ASCII text
mgs.bmp:       PC bitmap, Windows 98/2000 and newer format, 80 x 84 x 24
MULTIDISC.LST: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
In case anyone is using Linux and facing similar issues, dos2unix can convert text files quickly. It should be available in any distributions' package manager.

ViraLicious
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by ViraLicious » October 9th, 2018, 6:32 pm

NRGDEAD wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 8:17 am
ViraLicious wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 12:18 am
For whatever reason my MULTIDISC.LST files seem to not have been created correctly.
I think I remember reading somewhere that these need to be in DOS format, also known as "ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators" (via GNU/Linux' file command). If they're in UNIX format, it's just LF line terminators and thus it shows up as one line in software not designed to handle both - like seemingly the PSIO. Notepad++ does both, I think, but you may need to specify what exactly you want to save as.

Wikipedia has a lot of info on this topic, if you're interested.

For example, here's "file *.*" in my Metal Gear Solid directory. Should work; haven't throughly tested it yet. But I can switch discs in the menu and the cover art shows up.

Code: Select all

MGS1.BIN:      data
MGS1.CU2:      ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
MGS1.CUE:      ASCII text
MGS1.TOC:      ASCII text
MGS2.BIN:      data
MGS2.CU2:      ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
MGS2.CUE:      ASCII text
MGS2.TOC:      ASCII text
mgs.bmp:       PC bitmap, Windows 98/2000 and newer format, 80 x 84 x 24
MULTIDISC.LST: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
In case anyone is using Linux and facing similar issues, dos2unix can convert text files quickly. It should be available in any distributions' package manager.
Thanks for the info.

Like I said in my post. I created the original LST file with the Systems Console for the PSIO, which should be in "ANSI", as mentioned in the PSIO Systems Manual in the [6-6: Multi-Disc] section - it also mentions "CR + LF" in the same paragraph where ANSI is mentioned. I also choose to encode the LFT file in ANSI upon saving in Notepad++, where everything looked correct and fine, with each title/file on its own row. However, when opened in Windows Notepad both titles were on the same row - as shown in my example in my previous post. Whatever was the cause of the change in format/encoding, I have no idea. But am just happy that it works now! :)

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » October 12th, 2018, 12:14 am

Okay. This bug has been fixed in the new Menu System update (V2.6.4). It turns out that the ARM wasn't being reset correctly and for some reason changing the cluster sized helped initialise the reset or provide the correct MSF which enabled 'Resident Evil - Disc 2' to boot.

MacGyver
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by MacGyver » October 12th, 2018, 3:04 am

Matt wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 12:14 am
the new Menu System update (V2.6.4)
Any hint on when this will be available? :)

krisk77

Post by krisk77 » October 12th, 2018, 5:45 am

Matt wrote:
Okay. This bug has been fixed in the new Menu System update (V2.6.4). It turns out that the ARM wasn't being reset correctly and for some reason changing the cluster sized helped initialise the reset or provide the correct MSF which enabled 'Resident Evil - Disc 2' to boot.
Cool 8-)

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 12th, 2018, 10:51 am

MacGyver wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 3:04 am
Matt wrote:
I'll try and get it released as soon as I can.

ViraLicious
Just Joined
Just Joined

Post by ViraLicious » October 13th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Matt wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 10:51 am
MacGyver wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 3:04 am
Matt wrote:
I'll try and get it released as soon as I can.
Great Matt! Tanks for the awesome support! :) So the cluster issue is fixed for all games then and not just Resident Evil 2?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » October 14th, 2018, 2:44 pm

It should be. If not, just let me know and I'll look into it again :)