Game testing group

Generic Customer Feedback, Content and Reviews based directly on PSIO
zredgemz
Lives in the PSXDEV Server
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Game testing group

Post by zredgemz » March 1st, 2016, 3:31 pm

Hey guys in my last thread another user had a great idea which i think we should dedicate this thread to.
nightrnr wrote:We do need to be reporting our problem games using the site link. However, I do think it's nice to share on a thread to see if anyone else has had similar issues (mine is for Tempest X3, and yes I've already sent in a report on that).
So i figured i would start it out with a game that seems to have a issue but before i put in a report i want to confirm if others have had this issue first,i just set up parasite eve 2 with a working multidisc lst and i made sure the dump was a redump set but after you go to the first site in the game after the shooting range the game locks up near your parked car.
It happens every time, i have tried a bunch of things to try and find the cause like no Mulidisc list,single folder with only the first disc, other versions of the disc files but nothing different happens except i may be able to walk closer to the first police man before you go in the building. So before i make myself look stupid like in the doom thread i figured i would ask other psio users if you have had or seen this happen or is it only me?, also lets use this thread for any other issues or in my case some user errors.

zredgemz

Re: Game testing group

Post by zredgemz » March 3rd, 2016, 11:15 am

Here is some video footage of the issue in Parasite eve 2 i was talking about, at about 3 mins in you will see the lockup i was talking about.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » March 3rd, 2016, 5:13 pm

How can I jump to that particular section in the game so I may debug it?
Do you have a save on a Memory Card by any chance??

zredgemz

Post by zredgemz » March 3rd, 2016, 5:28 pm

no save needed that was right from starting the game up, it takes about a min to skip the dialogue and hit start to skip cutscenes. in the video i load a new game at 1:30 secs you will see i start the game. How to recreate it, all you should have to do is leave the shooting range and go to the first site. before you enter the car if you walk past the car to the left you will see a wall phone, you can use that to make a save so you can skip that min and a half dialogue to get to the site again faster. I wish i could make you a save file but i have no way of getting it off my memory card to my pc, i used to have the ps3 memory card reader but that was before i got rid of my ps3.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 3rd, 2016, 9:26 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a look at soon.

NoWayOut
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by NoWayOut » March 5th, 2016, 11:20 pm

zredgemz wrote:Hey guys in my last thread another user had a great idea which i think we should dedicate this thread to.
nightrnr wrote:We do need to be reporting our problem games using the site link. However, I do think it's nice to share on a thread to see if anyone else has had similar issues (mine is for Tempest X3, and yes I've already sent in a report on that).
So i figured i would start it out with a game that seems to have a issue but before i put in a report i want to confirm if others have had this issue first,i just set up parasite eve 2 with a working multidisc lst and i made sure the dump was a redump set but after you go to the first site in the game after the shooting range the game locks up near your parked car.
It happens every time, i have tried a bunch of things to try and find the cause like no Mulidisc list,single folder with only the first disc, other versions of the disc files but nothing different happens except i may be able to walk closer to the first police man before you go in the building. So before i make myself look stupid like in the doom thread i figured i would ask other psio users if you have had or seen this happen or is it only me?, also lets use this thread for any other issues or in my case some user errors.
Yep, I just tried and it locks up at that exact point for me too. Also Aya's animation looks very glitchy just before the lockup, though I haven't checked the original disc to see how it looks there. I don't remember it being so choppy though.

zredgemz

Post by zredgemz » March 6th, 2016, 8:16 am

As other users confirmed in another thread, i can confirm that playing parasite eve 1 will not switch discs when you get the subway gate key that prompts you to insert disc two. I will try a test here in a min by using actual discs to see if after i get to disc 2 if i can get PSIO to load a save from disc two, if this works it will be a work around but obviously not ideal. I will be right back after this test.

zredgemz

Post by zredgemz » March 6th, 2016, 8:59 am

Ok that did not work but i have a theory why, when you disc swap on a game like metal gear soild it prompts you to switch discs then hit start or some other key then it checks for the disc but on parasite eve 1 it seems to wait till you open then close the disc tray with no press key prompt to then check for disc2. I will file a report here in a sec, i dunno how many multidisc games act like parasite eve 1 with no press key prompt but i do know that games that swap with a key prompt seem to be fine from the ones i have tested. I wish i had a way to upload my save to help shadow with testing as it would make it much faster for debuging.

Edit: i will make a video here showing the disc prompt screen with using actual discs and then what i see on PSIO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWpH4P-Nbo0

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 6th, 2016, 5:28 pm

NoWayOut wrote:
zredgemz wrote:Hey guys in my last thread another user had a great idea which i think we should dedicate this thread to.
Yep, I just tried and it locks up at that exact point for me too. Also Aya's animation looks very glitchy just before the lockup, though I haven't checked the original disc to see how it looks there. I don't remember it being so choppy though.
It might be a buffer problem in the FPGA logic. Cybdyn is looking into it ;)

As for Parasite Eve 1's disc change issue, I had a look at the debug logs, and something isn't right.
We will look into it today and try to figure out what it is doing.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 7th, 2016, 2:11 am

Okay, Parasite Eve 1 is now fixed. Discs swap correctly.
Please update your ARM firmware to 2.2.240.

zredgemz

Post by zredgemz » March 7th, 2016, 9:07 am

Shadow wrote:Okay, Parasite Eve 1 is now fixed. Discs swap correctly.
Please update your ARM firmware to 2.2.240.
Works great, thank you. I will finish testing PE till the end and at least one EX Mode playthrough, so far the game runs as it should.

gameovary
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by gameovary » March 7th, 2016, 7:06 pm

although I have reported this problem, I'd be curious to know if anyone else has experienced trouble with Gauntlet Legends while trying to either save or exit the game during game play to enter any of the other menu features. for me it simply freezes no matter what I do.

Also, initial test of Die Hard Trilogy does not seem to boot although maybe it is due to the disc image being PAL and my system is NTSC? [I did think I read that that shouldn't matter but maybe I got that wrong]

I also don't seem to have any music and extra sound in TEKKEN 3 [USA NTSC single BIN image] even though I made a proper CU2 file and even downloaded a posted CU2 file for it. the game also froze at the end sequence when you win all 10 levels. it just went black. BTW, you can easily win by setting difficulty to easy and using a button mash combo of going quickly with two fingers tapping between the square and triangle buttons. you can win every fight very quickly

I think it is a great idea to have this thread to list games you may find trouble with just to be sure it is an actual bug and not some problem with either the disc image or the settings.

great work, thank you!

gameovary
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by gameovary » March 7th, 2016, 7:13 pm

almost forgot, seems to be a strange bug in Einhander in the very beginning as it tries to access the mem card. The screen goes black and some odd shapes show up on the left side. you can get past it by pressing X and start until it gets through it.

not sure if it should be noted that I am using an S-Video cable for Video output, not the standard composite cable.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 7th, 2016, 7:26 pm

gameovary wrote:almost forgot, seems to be a strange bug in Einhander in the very beginning as it tries to access the mem card. The screen goes black and some odd shapes show up on the left side. you can get past it by pressing X and start until it gets through it.

not sure if it should be noted that I am using an S-Video cable for Video output, not the standard composite cable.
Try changing XA/CDDA Modes from K1V3 to K1V1 in the PSIO Options Menu. If that doesn't solve it, try it "Off".
Let me know if any of those work.

gameovary wrote:Tekken 3 NTSC
I've passed Tekken 3 (NTSC) before, so I'll try to beat it again on 'Normal' and see if it locks up for me.

MateriaMind
I am a: Nurse

Post by MateriaMind » March 7th, 2016, 8:10 pm

I've had no issues with either Einhander or Tekken 3. I just kept my Tekken 3 as a single BIN image and disregarded using any cue sheet of any type. Just because a game is a multi-BIN doesn't mean it uses CDDA. Example: Gundam Battle Assault 2, Resident Evil 2 (Claire or Leon), Resident Evil 1, South Park, Brave Fencer Musashi, Breath of Fire 4, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare or even Lunar Silver Star Story. I've not played most of those games in their entirety but a have played a good way into and have had no issues whatsoever. I played all the way through Castlevania SotN and that had 2 or 3 BIN's, all merged to one file and beat it. No audio hiccups or freezes. It plays great. Games that specifically use CDDA like Tomb Raider 1 and 2, Jet Moto 1 and 2, Twisted Metal 2, Jersey Devil all have specific audio tracks that are used in the game. Those are the titles (there are more by the way, not just limited to these titles mentioned) that utilize CU2 setups.
"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 7th, 2016, 8:45 pm

Tekken 3 uses CDDDA, so it needs CU2 sheet.

gameovary
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by gameovary » March 7th, 2016, 9:48 pm

gameovary wrote:Tekken 3 NTSC
I've passed Tekken 3 (NTSC) before, so I'll try to beat it again on 'Normal' and see if it locks up for me.

I did try the various XA/CDDA Modes, didn't change anything for me, it plays fine with the fighters sound effects but no music or any of the major cut scene sound. I think the disc image i have of Tekken 3 must not be right based on what people are saying here. I did create my own CU2 and even downloaded one from the forum and it didn't work for me so it has to be the image.

after trying several versions of Gauntlet Legends, it is def locking up upon saving after completing the first level or in fact any attempts to access the main menu, load/save or "secret characters" once you're in game play.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems

Post by Matt » March 7th, 2016, 9:59 pm

gameovary wrote:after trying several versions of Gauntlet Legends, it is def locking up upon saving after completing the first level or in fact any attempts to access the main menu, load/save or "secret characters" once you're in game play.
Did you try disabling XA/CDDA?

gameovary
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by gameovary » March 7th, 2016, 10:05 pm

Shadow wrote:
gameovary wrote:after trying several versions of Gauntlet Legends, it is def locking up upon saving after completing the first level or in fact any attempts to access the main menu, load/save or "secret characters" once you're in game play.
Did you try disabling XA/CDDA?
yes. to no avail.

I will be sure to try all the XA/CDDA options before reporting anything here for any game.

gameovary
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by gameovary » March 7th, 2016, 10:08 pm

one really quick test of this Gauntlet Legends bug is to enter the game and once you get into the main arena where you unlock the various levels, click START and try to enter any of the menu choices, the game will lock up

I first encountered it when I finished level one and was offered the option to save and when I did it froze. I then tested every possible thing I could think of and nothing fixed it and in doing those tests noticed that it froze in the menu options in gameplay

I did only try it with the WARRIOR character but I doubt it would be any different with any other charachter