Let's talk about the PocketStation

Generic Customer Feedback, Content and Reviews based directly on PSIO
Dig_dug_93

Let's talk about the PocketStation

Post by Dig_dug_93 » June 25th, 2018, 3:30 am

So I know the memory card manager is on the back burner right now, but when when it finally reaches top of the queue will there be any extra functionality with the PocketStation? Could we possibly drop in game files or homebrew?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
I am a: Systems Designer

Re: Let's talk about the PocketStation

Post by Matt » June 25th, 2018, 8:08 am

Probably not. Homebrew (PS-EXE files and data files) would be uploaded directly to the PSX via PSIO's USB connection. A debugger is also in the works.

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » July 6th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Can't you just run the Pocketstation ISO's as you would any other Japanese game?

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » July 6th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 1:29 pm
Can't you just run the Pocketstation ISO's as you would any other Japanese game?
Are there such things as Pocketstation ISO's? I thought the Pocketstation data or mini-games were on the real PlayStation game and you would unlock and save them to the Pocketstation to be played later.

Dig_dug_93

Post by Dig_dug_93 » July 7th, 2018, 11:38 am

Correct. I was hoping with the memory card manager you drop homebrew on to the PocketStation. And I know this is a stretch but maybe an integrated PocketStation player.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » July 8th, 2018, 2:00 am

Ah I see. I'll have to take a look into that actually. I don't even own a Pocketstation for starters so I'll have to grab one :)

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » July 19th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Matt wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 5:19 pm
Are there such things as Pocketstation ISO's? I thought the Pocketstation data or mini-games were on the real PlayStation game and you would unlock and save them to the Pocketstation to be played later.
Yes, I was referring to the Japanese CD games themselves, which is what you'd use to load the Pocketstation (via the Mem Card). Frankly, while I have the PSIO and a Pocketstation, I haven't actually tried any of the game ISO's. As for homebrew, I mean, you may not have to do anything special. It uses regular memory cards, and is passing data that the card understands.
Matt wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 2:00 am
Ah I see. I'll have to take a look into that actually. I don't even own a Pocketstation for starters so I'll have to grab one :)
They're pretty cheap, even in Australia.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems - Admin
Cybdyn Systems - Admin

Post by Matt » July 19th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Well the PocketStation should work fine with PSIO. We don't touch the Memory Card bus since it's in parallel with the controller port :)

Greg2600
Active at Cybdyn Systems
Active at Cybdyn Systems

Post by Greg2600 » July 25th, 2018, 3:29 pm

So until there's a direct Memory Manager, I found this old Pocketstation Transfer Tool, and it works perfectly. It was created back then to be burned to CD. Follow it's directions on how to load PocketStation files and whatnot, but you just copy the zip contents to the SD card, and PSIO will run it like any other BIN. Also insert PocketStation into the first memory card port before opening.

http://onorisoft.free.fr/retro.htm?psx/psx.htm

Now, if you want to add any of the 100+ Pocket Station roms, you need to change the files in the SAVE folder, run the makefile.bat, and then use a program like PSOne ISO Maker to build a new PSLoader.bin and .cue file. Replace the existing ones on the SD card, and you're file list will be updated. The loader seems only to like the original/raw GME files though, not the BIN files converted for PocketStation emulators.