How good can a humble PSX look on a brand new 4K OLED?

Generic Customer Feedback, Content and Reviews based directly on PSIO
chrisvg
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

How good can a humble PSX look on a brand new 4K OLED?

Post by chrisvg » October 11th, 2017, 11:59 pm

This good! :o

Just picked up the TV today (LG 65C7 OLED), trying out a few different configurations, but it's pretty clear it's a keeper!

PSX RGB output going into an OSSC with scanline effects enabled (31% strength) and line 4x (960p).

The SNES and N64 pics are are from RGB modded consoles, going onto the OSSC with same scanline settings and Line 3x (720p).

65" of retro console goodness, and at only around 26ms display latency (roughly 1.5 frames) in total (including both the OSSC and TV refresh).

I love my CRTs, I really really do.. but man... I wish I could have a CRT that was this big with perfect geometry and not weigh a few tons haha. I think this is a fair compromise :D

NRGDEAD
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Re: How good can a humble PSX look on a brand new 4K OLED?

Post by NRGDEAD » October 14th, 2017, 4:04 pm

This looks like it was done in Photoshop. Very nice! I ordered my PSIO a few weeks ago and my OSSC yesterday. Now I just need to find a source of PSX RGB SCART Sync-on-Luma cable, and I'm good to go!

masterauronx
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by masterauronx » January 18th, 2018, 6:57 am

I have a 4k TV, it's not oled, but if you run rgb with a framemeister xrgb it's looks amazing.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » January 18th, 2018, 12:19 pm

The problem I find mainly is latency. Is there any noticeable delay from when you press a button on the controller to picture/sound update?

chrisvg
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by chrisvg » January 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm

With my setup on the OSSC, roughly 1.5 frames of latency at 60hz (6ms for the OSSC, 20ms for my tv in game mode) .. certainly not as good as a SD CRT, but barely noticeable. I'm fairly sensitive to input latency (I know some people are more forgiving, others less so) and find the OSSC is quite acceptable for precise input games like fighters.

I also have a Framemeister here too, and due do it using a framebuffer, it will add a full frame of latency (16ms), so it has roughly 2.5 frames of latency all up including the display latency of the tv. I can definitely feel the difference of that additional frame or so of latency in fighting games.

Matt
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Systems Designer

Post by Matt » January 19th, 2018, 2:45 am

I don't even understand why TV's have a 'Game Mode' when there is still huge amounts of latency. The OSSC however sounds pretty impressive and bypasses that issue entirely.

NRGDEAD
Curious about PSXDEV
Curious about PSXDEV

Post by NRGDEAD » January 22nd, 2018, 7:03 am

It's annoying, really. Plug your OSSC into your regular computer LCD screen and it should feel more direct, faster. I'm thinking about doing that when playing PSX games once my PSIO is here. But on the other hand, I have this really neat setup with a couple of consoles in the living room already. Just need a few more RGB cables and a SCART switch (Hydra or gscartsw_lite).

You guys probably already know about My Life In Gaming on YouTube. In case you don't, go check them out. They have a lot of very interesting videos dealing with retro consoles and modern displays, and and and.

Hbardaxc
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Hbardaxc » February 5th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Glad to see there are solutions other than Framemeister. I have one just to have one but it will be dead soon so there needs to be more and newer hardware.

cargo
Interested in PSXDEV
Interested in PSXDEV

Post by cargo » February 12th, 2018, 12:50 pm

@OP: You might want to check out HD Retrovision's component cables and adapters. They have cables for SNES and Genesis which convert their signals to component. This is a plug and play solution (no modifications necessary) with no lag and amazing image quality. They are currently planning to sell a PS1 adapter to their Genesis cable later this year.

http://www.hdretrovision.com/blog/2017/ ... on-journey