Install complete (PU-18)

Generic Customer Feedback, Content and Reviews based directly on PSIO
pskelly
Just Joined
Just Joined

Install complete (PU-18)

Post by pskelly » April 25th, 2017, 11:09 pm

So after a month or so of stressing out about doing this install I finally sat down and got to work. I've done some soldering in the past when I was an A/V tech (yay VGA and serial cables) but its not something I did regularly and not something i do at all anymore. Needles to say it wasn't a bad experience. The instructions provided were great. I do highly recommend getting a magnifying glass that is greater than 4x as i had to do some serious squinting. I also recommend getting as fine a soldering iron tip as possible. scrapping the solder points was a bit of a pain, i used a mix of x-acto and flat head screwdriver.

In case anyone is unsure of what to buy here is what i used (you can get all this from amazon):
Weller WLC100 40-Watt Soldering Station
Weller ST7 ST Series Conical Solder Tip
Kester 24-6337-0027 Solder Roll
Hakko 599B-02 Solder Tip Cleaning Wire and Holder
SE MZ101B Helping Hand with Magnifying Glass
Stanley 66-052 6-Piece Precision Screwdriver Set
X-ACTO #1 Knife
Hakko CHP-170 Micro Soft Wire Cutter
INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter

This is truly an amazing device and I think everyone who helped develop it. I have a pretty large PS1 collection but being able to just load games to an SD card is so much more convenient. Load times are much quicker, I can swap games quicker and i don't need to worry about replacing my laser again. :praise

Topcronos
PSIO Donator
PSIO Donator

Re: Install complete (PU-18)

Post by Topcronos » April 26th, 2017, 2:39 am

Congratulations :clap

It's fun to do and very rewarding when you psio loads and initiate the setup phase.
Did you get it to work first time ?
On my side (PU-18 install as well), I had to cut tracks a second time because they were not totally cut in the first place. So I second your recommandation to work with a magnifier.

Enjoy PSIO now :dance

pskelly
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: Install complete (PU-18)

Post by pskelly » April 26th, 2017, 5:17 am

I was lucky enough to get it to work the first time. I am super pumped and have been making all my friends jealous.